Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Reference parts & Hidden lines

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jcoates87
3165 Views, 12 Replies

BOM Reference parts & Hidden lines

Hello

I am doing a .idw drawing of an assembly that I have several parts that I do not want to appear in the BOM parts list. I have therefore set these parts as Reference parts however this has caused them to appear as "hidden type" lines in the drawing and are even visable through other parts.

Is there any way to make these parts appear in the drawing "as normal" and not be listed in the parts list?

Thanks for any help

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
-niels-
in reply to: jcoates87

"As normal", no... but, you can set some options for it on the "model state" tab when editing the view.

"Reference data - as parts" and "hidden line calculation - all bodies" will probably get something more desirable as you currently have.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 13
jcoates87
in reply to: jcoates87

Actually thats exactly what I was after. Thanks very much

Message 4 of 13
stephentaylor33
in reply to: -niels-

Is there any way to do this for just one reference part but not all of them?

Steve Taylor
Drafter
Stork Food & Dairy Systems
Message 5 of 13
-niels-
in reply to: stephentaylor33

The options mentioned only work on all reference parts in the idw environment.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Maybe a different BOM state could help, or a different color style...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 13
stephentaylor33

What I have is an assembly using a couple of pneumatic cylinders along with a large frame that needs to be a referenced part.  The cylinders are a purchased part but I need them to function using limits, appear on the BOM so that our vendors will know the necessary specs for the cylinder, and look like a regular part on the drawing.  My solution is to create an assembly of each cylinder out of two referenced parts (plunger and housing) so that it does not create a BOM, then put the cylinder assembly into the larger assembly as a flexible part. 

This makes the cylinder assembly appear as a reference part on the drawing (thin lines).  I can sometimes fix this by selecting the lines and changing line style.  But this doesn't work when there are hidden lines or for sections.  I would like a way to make the cylinder act like a normal part even though it contains only referenced parts.

Thanks for any help

Steve Taylor
Drafter
Message 7 of 13
SBix26

There's a much easier way for you: make the cylinder assembly Purchased.  This hides the component parts from the BOM.  No need to use reference parts for this case.

To make it Purchased (or Inseparable), open the Document Settings, go to the Bill of Materials tab, and change from Normal to Purchased.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 8 of 13
-niels-
in reply to: SBix26

I agree with Sam, the purchased state will accomplish what you want.

In my company we use cylinders in a similar way for movement, but we leave them on the "normal" state.

We can do this because we use "all levels" for our BOM and do not expand the cylinders to show their components.

(i realize we could set them to purchased, but we just never did since it doesn't matter that much for us.)

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 13
SBix26

In our case, we actually place separate parts lists for fabricated parts and purchased parts, and this is how we filter the lists.  Very convenient!

Sam B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 13
stephentaylor33

Thankyou for the input but it didn't work. The problem that we may be having is that we use Autodesk Productstream as our data managment program.  Productstream still shows the parts in the BOM and when I look at the BOM in Inventor it also shows all the parts.  Should the parts still be visible in the BOM in Inventor? Or am I running into an Inventor function that just doesn't work with Productstream

Steve Taylor
Drafter
Message 11 of 13
SBix26

If you set the cylinder's BOM Attribute to Purchased or Inseparable, you absolutely should not see the component parts in any higher-level BOMs.

Sam B

Message 12 of 13
stephentaylor33

Attached here is a screen shot of our data management program (Autodesk Productstream Pro 2011) showing that it created a BOM.  This is a problem because all of our BOM's in Productstream are then without discresion exported to SAP to be used by our vendors and purchasing department.  A BOM of useless information has the potential to confuse everyone. 

Also using this method should there be a BOM created at all for the cylinder? My goal is to not have any BOM created for the cylinder is that doable in any way?

Thankyou for all your help

Steve Taylor
Drafter
Message 13 of 13
SBix26

I've never used or seen Productstream, so I can't help you there.  As far as Inventor's BOM is concerned, though, an Assembly marked Purchased is a single component and shows no subcomponents.  I would hope that Productstream would treat it the same.

Sam B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report