Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM reference issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
xchrisgrassx
1952 Views, 7 Replies

BOM reference issue

Good morning everyone, simple question here. I was hoping someone might be able to inform me as to how I go about removing a part from the bill of materials. I have a few conceptual/visual aid components that I do not want in the BOM.

I checked the iproperties for some sort of reference only option, but came up with nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Christopher

Note - Not using vault

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
coreyparks
in reply to: xchrisgrassx

Open the assembly and edit the BOM from the assemble tab.  In the column called BOM structure change the part to Phantom.  Phantom parts show as normal parts in all drawing views but they do not show up in the BOM.  However if one of them is an assembly then the assembly won't show but all of the children of that assembly will.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: coreyparks

umm phantom is technically not correct. you should set it to reference. Its quickest to just right click on a part or sub in the model browser and select "bom structure..reference"

Phantom should ONLY be used for subassemblies that are built on the fly (ie non-stocking subassemblies) and like corey said the components of that sub are exposed at that upper level instead of being shown in the subs parts list.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 8
coreyparks
in reply to: mcgyvr

Incorrect, reference parts do not disply correctly in the drawing then.  They show as phantom lines or solid lines but never shaded.  It all depends on how you want the drawing to look in the end.  I admit I usually don't use phantom parts like this but I assumed he wanted the parts to look "normal" while not showing in the BOM.  I normally use phantom assemblies to make subs that help me build my design but have no relevance to the BOM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr

Not incorrect..no mention of needing a shaded display in the drawing was in the original question. Reference is the proper setting to answer the original question as stated.

Your phantom suggestion is technically not the correct method but does function as a good workaround to avoid the inability (bug in Inventor) for reference parts to show as shaded in an IDW. But if his components are iam files then it doesn't work.

"Phantom" setting was actually taken from early ERP systems (before Inventor was even out) and was used to indicate a non-stocking sub-assembly in which during job order/work order release the components were extracted from the phantom subs and moved into the pick list for the upper level assemblies.

"Reference" setting allows parts that should not show up in the BOM nor on the parts list in an IDW but are used as "reference" geometry in the modeling process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
coreyparks
in reply to: mcgyvr

I agree Reference would be the way to go if it worked well, I have found very few times when it does however as I usually still want the parts to show the same as the rest.  I usually make all reference parts on color and state that on my prints.  ALL PARTS SHOWN IN RED ARE FOR REFERENCE ONLY.  I took the statement of "I have a few conceptual/visual aid components that I do not want in the BOM." to mean he was ok with how they were currently being displayed and wanted them to be removed from the BOM.  Phantom accomplishes this.  But you are right that if Reference worked better it would be the more correct method.  This is also why I stated the warning about assemblies.  Also sorry if I came across as an ****, it was not my intent, just a bit of a rough day today and I seem to be talking/typing before I really think about what I am saying, lol.

Corey Parks
Message 7 of 8
xchrisgrassx

Thanks for the help both of you, I will play around with both methods and do a little further digging.

Message 8 of 8
nadinbu
in reply to: xchrisgrassx

Hello,

is it some way to change reference line type to gray and thin?

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report