Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoM quantity for Frame Generator parts

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
graemev
2226 Views, 8 Replies

BoM quantity for Frame Generator parts

This thread gives good, detailed instructions for exactly what I want to accomplish.  I just would like to know if it will apply to Frame Generator parts as well, or if there is another group of files I should be messing with instead.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jtylerbc
in reply to: graemev

As long as you make sure to place your Frame Generator members from your custom part family instead of the default ones, that customization will apply to parts placed with Frame Generator as well.

Message 3 of 9
LT.Rusty

It will work, but there is one caveat: when you edit the family template to change the BOM quantity from G_L to EACH, this will for some reason not stick in Frame Generator. Not sure why. It'll still show (for instance) 96" as the quantity for 4 pieces of 2x2x1/4x24, rather than Qty 4. Other than that, though, yes - everything should work.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
jtylerbc
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:
It will work, but there is one caveat: when you edit the family template to change the BOM quantity from G_L to EACH, this will for some reason not stick in Frame Generator. Not sure why. It'll still show (for instance) 96" as the quantity for 4 pieces of 2x2x1/4x24, rather than Qty 4. Other than that, though, yes - everything should work.

Another possible workaround (which is what I actually use) is to use the ITEM QTY field in the parts list instead of the default QTY field.  This will give you a count regardless of the setting for the base quantity.  I then override the column heading with "QTY".

All of this is defined in a parts list style, so I don't have to redo it every time.  In fact, I've used it this way for so long that I'd forgotten exactly how it was set up until reading LT. Rusty's post.

Message 5 of 9
graemev
in reply to: jtylerbc

@jtylerbc wrote:

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Another possible workaround (which is what I actually use) is to use the ITEM QTY field in the parts list instead of the default QTY field.  This will give you a count regardless of the setting for the base quantity.  I then override the column heading with "QTY".

All of this is defined in a parts list style, so I don't have to redo it every time.  In fact, I've used it this way for so long that I'd forgotten exactly how it was set up until reading LT. Rusty's post.

That actually sounds more like what I need in the first place.  I'll give it a spin.

Message 6 of 9
jtylerbc

Another advantage of doing it this way is that if you find yourself later needing to use the original "length as quantity" setup to create material lists, you can do so by just having a second parts list style that refers to the original QTY column.  Instead of either/or, you can have both types of quantities available.

Message 7 of 9
JhoelForshav
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Since this post is from 2013 I was hoping that this would not still be the case. However, when I try to edit the base quantity in my frame generator templates to each, the quantity is still G_L when a member is placed.

Has anyone found/figured out a way to place frame members with a base quantity of each? My workaround for the time being is an iLogic rule in my assembly template that triggers before save and changes the quantity of the frame members.  I'd really like it if I could just place them with the correct base quantity straight from frame generator though.

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JhoelForshav

Hi Jhoel,

How are you doing? I am wondering if Item QTY would help here. Have you tried adding Item QTY to the BOM table?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
JhoelForshav
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue ,
I'm good. Hope all is well with you too 🙂
Thanks for the reply. Due to some automation in vault and also the fact that I want to be able to use static QTY-values for some components (mainly virtual components), Item QTY is not an optimal option for me. I did however manage to highly optimize my iLogic rule for changing the Base Quantity to each for all frame members before save. A big assembly that took about 40 seconds to update with the old rule takes less than one second now, so hopefully this whole Base Quantity thing wont be an issue anymore 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report