Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Phantom/Reference Help

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Eric_SF
966 Views, 4 Replies

BOM Phantom/Reference Help

Hi everyone, real simple question (I think) about Phantom and Reference parts in the BOM.

I set a part in my BOM of an assembly to Reference, It disapeared from the BOM list and show up in the drawing as dashed line. I decided Id rather just have it as a normal part. I can not find it though to change from Reference to normal. It is totally gone off the list. I cant find a button or a right click that says something like, Show referenced parts... or anything along those lines.

Thanks in advance, 

Eric

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: Eric_SF

Pretty sure you will have to change it back at the part model level. Open or edit the part, go to Tools\Document Settings.  You can change it back on the BOM Tab.

Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr

@Eric_SF wrote:

Hi everyone, real simple question (I think) about Phantom and Reference parts in the BOM.

I set a part in my BOM of an assembly to Reference, It disapeared from the BOM list and show up in the drawing as dashed line. I decided Id rather just have it as a normal part. I can not find it though to change from Reference to normal. It is totally gone off the list. I cant find a button or a right click that says something like, Show referenced parts... or anything along those lines.

Thanks in advance, 

Eric

Open the assembly..find the part in the model browser or graphics window and right click and select "bom structure" and select default normal..

phantom and reference are 2 totally different things..

Phantom is a non-stocking subassembly and components in its bom will be pushed up to the upper level bom..

Reference is for something that you want shown in the model for clarity/information,etc.. but it won't show up in the bom.. By default it will show as hidden line in the drawing but that can be changed.. (edit view..model state tab..reference data section.. change line style to as parts)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
Eric_SF
in reply to: mcgyvr

I had tried this but it did not work, for some reason the part alread said Default Normal when I right clicked. Thank you though for your explanation of the difference though 

Message 5 of 5
mcgyvr

@Eric_SF wrote:

I had tried this but it did not work, for some reason the part alread said Default Normal when I right clicked. Thank you though for your explanation of the difference though 

Actually I bet it said "Default (Reference)" which meant you set it to reference at the part level (or through the assy bom dialog) and not only at that assembly level.

If so then yes you have to go back into the document settings for the part file and change it there..

If you set it to reference at the assembly level (right click..bom structure..reference) then you could use my suggestion..

2 places for 2 different applications.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums