Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM parts and assemblies are read only

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
janitor1
3845 Views, 10 Replies

BOM parts and assemblies are read only

I have some BOM parts and an assembly that are read only and I need to be able to enter information in the bill of materials under the status column and the comments column. The BOM parts are i-parts and the assembly is an i-assembly. Is there a way to set them to read or is this a limitation?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: janitor1

Are they located in a library folder or possibly copied from a
CD/DVD?  Check prperties on the parts and make sure they are not flagged
read only in Windows.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 11
janitor1

Not in a library folder or copied.
Not flagged read only in windows.
Common factor is i-parts and i-assembly.
Message 4 of 11
janitor1

Deleted the i-assembly table to make it into a regular assembly. Can now change properties in BOM. Apparently cannot assign properties to an i-assembly or i-part.
Message 5 of 11
robert.henderson

I am having the same problem. I am using Inventor Professional 2012 and I have created complex iparts and iassemblies and I am not able to change the BOM structure of the parts simply because they are intelligent.  I require the tables and features that the iparts and iassemblies can create but they are coming up read only and can not modify the BOM information. Is there a way to change the read only aspect of an ipart or iassembly?

Message 7 of 11
robert.henderson
in reply to: cbenner

I am not using Vault, all files are on my local server.  Also all parts and assemblies have been created from nothing.  I work in the Rail Industry, for example one of my iassemblies is a bungalow.  This bungalow has 6 options, these options change the physical size of the bungalow, this bungalow comes with receptacles, lights, light switch(es), exhaust fan, heater, thermostats, shelves, and a distribution panel.  This will show up as a single item on my BOM, but there is a lot of intelligence (equipment moves or gets added depending on the selection) within my assembly and I can not change anything on my BOM because its coming up as read only.  This particular iassembly contains parts, iparts, and iassemblies all of which I have created since my content is very unique.  Everything works as I want, except the BOM.

Message 9 of 11
robert.henderson
in reply to: cbenner

I've attached the bungalow that would be set up in the master BOM as a single item. This iassembly will end up in a template which I am setting up.

Message 10 of 11

Sorry about that,

I did not pack and go my assembly.  I know why its read only, basically because the bungalow assembly has options since its intelligent that information could change when you put in into another assembly. I can put properties into my table such as the description, however I do not see an option to put my custom iproperties in the table, that’s where I have hit the road block at this point.

The bungalow has been posted on our FTP site, details noted below. Using Internet Explorer access through address: https://www.hmmftp.com/

Username=ro6251

Password=5ONSUEkV

* Data Stored here will be purged on Sat Nov 24 10:03:02 EST 2012.

Message 11 of 11
ptrafos3

In my case it was because I had the parts in the assembly deleted and that's why READ ONLY came out in the BOF

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report