Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Casting/Machine/Assembly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BDUB2012
596 Views, 5 Replies

BOM Casting/Machine/Assembly

These will be family table parts and assemblies but just to keep it simple for now lets look at non family table parts and assemblies.

The attachment is a drawing of a casting, a machine part that is made from the casting and an assembly that uses the machine part.

The casting will have a drawing that has no BOM.

The machine part will have a drawing that has a BOM that calls out the casting.

The assembly will have a drawing that has a BOM that calls out the machine part.

In the models:

I would like to have an assembly and a machine part the is linked to the casting part so if the casting part changes the machine part and the assembly changes.

In the drawings:

I would like to be able to use existing iproperties or user defined ones and use one parts list style so I can create a drawing of the casting, create a drawing of the machine part where the bom calls out the casting description and part number and a drawing of the assembly that calls out the machine description and part number.

How do I set this up to accomplish what I want.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wshaner
in reply to: BDUB2012

Hello BDUB2012,

I saw your posting and I was wondering if you have found a solution?

I am currently in the same situation and I interested in hearing your progress.

Thank you,

Message 3 of 6
dustin
in reply to: BDUB2012

did you find a solution?

Message 4 of 6
wshaner
in reply to: dustin

Which other CAD software do you recommend?

Message 5 of 6
mswaraich
in reply to: wshaner

I would recommend NX.

In NX, basically you can either promote the solid casting and /or copy solid body to the next higher level assembly which would be machined part in your case and you should be able to modify it using modeling tools.

Try out trial version available on Siemens website

Message 6 of 6
swalton
in reply to: dustin

I use Inventor's Derive workflow.

1. Model the casting as a part file. 
  2. Detail it in a drawing file.
  3. Start a new part file for the machined part.
  4. Create a Derive feature in the machined part that uses the casting part file.
    1. This will add a dependent copy of the casting part file to the machined part file.
    2. It is possible to write some iLogic code to pull iProperties from the casting part file and write them to the machined part file.
  5. Add machining features to the new part file.
  6. Detail the machined part in a new drawing file.
    1. Place a Parts List in the machined part drawing, but use the file browser to select the casting part file as the source.  Edit the Parts List to show the necessary iproperties from the casting part file.
  7. Use the machined part in any assemblies.

Note: this method will not allow you to drill down to the casting part in a structured Parts List or assembly BOM.  I use partnumber-casting for the casting part filename and partnumber for the machined part filename to help me remember the link between the casting and machined parts.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report