Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolts, Washers, Nuts and other objects from the Content Center....

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3559 Views, 11 Replies

Bolts, Washers, Nuts and other objects from the Content Center....

We are having a problem where if we used nuts and bolts from the Content Center it won't be recognized on another person's computer. So for example Person "A" does a bolted connection on one computer and Person "B" opens it up on their computer(which is connected to a server), it will ask to resolve those nuts and bolts etc. The only way around this for us so far is to save each individual nut and bolt into the file of the project we are working on and re-using it. Anybody know/have any suggestions as to why this is?

Thanks in advance

Inv. 2011

OS Windows 7

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dan_inv09
in reply to: Anonymous

In Application Options on the File tab under Default Content Center files make sure everyone has the same location, somewhere on the network.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

figured i would tag along on this issue. im having the same problem while working between two computers that are storing files on "dropbox" everything works well other than my bolted connections.

i think i have the options set the same on the two computers, but its still not working. would i need to move the actual content center files to someplace in my "dropbox" directory?

i guess i need a better understanding of whats going on with them..... 

i am running 2012, single user project, only user, just trying to work on my office files at home.

thanks!-ian

Message 4 of 12
SBix26

The Default Content Center Files location is where the individual instances are stored (not where the libraries are located), which needs to be in the same location for all computers/users accessing the assembly.  The default location, as installed, is the user's local profile, which only works for a single-user project.  Our work is all unrelated, self-contained projects, so we override the default Content Center location in the project file (.ipj) to be within the project folder structure.  Anyone working on that project will automatically find the Content Center items.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

I think this might work, I will give it a whirl but I believe you're on the right path, thanks!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I guess another quick question would be that these parts just keep adding up in this file correct?

Message 7 of 12
SBix26

Yes.  This can get cluttered, but one advantage is that if you've already used a part somewhere else, it doesn't need to be created again.  The parts are organized by folders as specified in the family tables, so if these aren't helpful, you can create your own libraries with path definitions that are better suited to your environment.

Message 8 of 12
rdyson

Note that the Default folder (from App Options) can be over written by the project file (Folder options > Content center files 😃

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks to all who have helped, couple more questions.

As far as starting our own Library I would assume we grab from Autodesk's content center and then use their parts to fill our Library. Is this what most people do? I kind of like their auto insert function for the nuts and bolts, I assume you lose this easy insert option?

Sorry if these are pretty basic, uncharted waters for this company!

Message 10 of 12
SBix26

When you copy from the delivered libraries, you have the choice of copying as independent family or with a link to the parent family.  If you mean the AutoDrop function for fasteners, it works with user libaries, too.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

How do you go about(short but sweet version) copying the Content Center Libraries? (Sorry for the questions(which I am sure are obvious))

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

If you are using the Vault Server, you have to create the library from the ADMS control panel (haven't done it myself since IT controls the server).

1) Open the Project editor and click on the Configure Libraries button in the lower left hand corner.

2a) For a Vault Server, click on the new library to add it to the project.

2b) For Desktop Content, click on the Create Library button

3) Return to the project editor, save, etc.

4) Go to Tools>Content Center>Editor. The editor is on the Manage tab if a file is open.

5) Find the family you want to copy, right-click and select Copy To> <new library>

6) Change the Library View from Merged to <new library>

7) Right-Click on the family and select Family Table. You can start editing the table to delete unwanted members, add your part numbers, etc.

😎 When you have the library done, you should edit the project again to remove the Autodesk libraries.

This is pretty high level, so you should read the help for additional details. There should be tutorials out there, too. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report