Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connections Problem

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
AnthonyPaul2010
456 Views, 11 Replies

Bolted Connections Problem

Hi All,

When trying to create a bolted connection with hole placement for some reason it will not let me select an existing hole. All it does is place a "plus (+)" symbol next to the cursor but when I hover the curor over a hole it wont select for some reason. The click fastener is greyed out also.

What am I doing wrong?

Anthony Paul (from Cairns, North Queensland, Australia)

Product Design Suite
Inventor Premium 2012 - SP1 Installed
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
Windows 7 Professional 64
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
AMD FirePro M5950 Graphics Card
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

What is your modelling structure?

Top down, Bottom up, Master sketching, Solid Body modelling??? etc

Message 3 of 12

I think it is top down or bottom up. 

What is the difference. Do you have a link for a desription of the diffence?

Anthony Paul (from Cairns, North Queensland, Australia)

Product Design Suite
Inventor Premium 2012 - SP1 Installed
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
Windows 7 Professional 64
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
AMD FirePro M5950 Graphics Card
Message 4 of 12
jdavis417
in reply to: AnthonyPaul2010

This post is over a year old... I think I'm seeing a trend.  Autodesk doesn't seem to have solved this one?

Message 5 of 12
blair
in reply to: jdavis417

If the feature a "Hole" using the Hole Feature tool or just a round cut "Extrusion" using the Extrusion Feature?

And how in the blazes is it poping up when the last posts are this old?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 12
jdavis417
in reply to: AnthonyPaul2010

I, too, am suspicious of the part that contains the hole to be "projected" onto the new part.

The "basis penetration" that is failing in my current model was created with the Hole command.  Sometimes that "basis penetration" was created with the Bolted Connection command from a previous iteration.  I rarely use a sketched extrusion (that I manually create) for a hole feature!

I have a ticket for this case and will try to update some (though not all) of these threads with results (if any).

We're all in this together,

another JD

Message 7 of 12
jdavis417

FYI, right now I'm attaching steel Zee Purlins to square tube Columns... in this situation, the columns have holes in the proper locations and I constrain the Zee Purlin fully and use the Bolted Connection to "transfer" the holes in the column to the Zee.  (I don't actually place the hardware... diminished returns...)

So, I placed the Zee and the failed (refused to recognize) holes were created with the Hole command.  When THAT failed, I went up to the next row of columns and found a column where the "basis penetration" was created with the Bolted Connection command (through the COLUMN this time, get it?).  I got the same result so, while I was previously suspicious of the "basis penetration" (the Source not the Target) NOW I've got to look at the Target part.

I'll try to follow up with what I find out...

Message 8 of 12
jdavis417

Okay, I just took the first, failed Coumn (source) and copied into a random location and constrained (one Mate... NOT completely constained) and the "basis penetration" (created via the Hole command) was recognized!!!  Then I fully-constained the Column... the BC still finds the Hole!

Now, I'll reveal that many of these Columns are Patterned... but I've never previously noticed this being a problem...

WOW... I'm going to show you something Autodesk might not truly want displayed in such a public fashion!!!

I'm attaching an image of the Measure command taking a measurement between two faces that are constrained with a Mate and 0" offest... the Measure tool (I could tell you some things about the Measure command and other, seemingly-non-sensible, settings in Document Settings<< Units but perhaps that should be for another post) reports a distance of 0.00000002 in WHEN MEASURED FROM THE COLUMN TO THE PURLIN AND 0.000000021 in WHEN MEASURED FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION (PURLIN TO COLUMN).  NOT ONLY SHOULD THESE BE THE SAME MEASUREMENT, THAT MEASUREMENT SHOULD BE 0"!!!!!

OMG, OMG, OMG... another ticket?

Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 12
jdavis417

blown_mate.png

OMG_MEASURE_COMMAND.png

Message 10 of 12
jdavis417

Oh, I see that this has been a known issue since 2006!!! Smiley Mad

Perhaps this has nothing to do with BC's not working?  I'm not warm & fuzzy about this.

Message 11 of 12
jdavis417

Just tried to use a different Zee Purlin (utilized in another location in the model) and the BC DOES recognize the hole!!!

This suggests (and only suggests) that the Target part is the issue?

Semi-related question... what are the Explorer right-click commands Purge & Check Sum?  Would that clean up a suspicious file?

Message 12 of 12
jdavis417

Placed a Column whos' holes are previously recognized in place of one that wouldn't be recognized...

the Column does not work in the new location.

Copied the same Column.... dragged it over about a foot... Holes are recognized.

I have an open ticket and will try to share what I find out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report