Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connections Follow Pattern IV 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
iamerm
620 Views, 3 Replies

Bolted Connections Follow Pattern IV 2013

I have an assembly comprised of 2 identical parts that have holes in a radial pattern.  The holes were created at the part level, & the holes are obviously in both parts (they are not created by the bolted connection).

I've made a bolted connection using the "By hole" option & I've checked "Follow pattern."  The bolted connection is made without any problems, & the "Follow pattern" populates all the holes as would normally be expected.

However, here's the problem:  the only bolt/nut/washer assembly that appears to be fully constrained is the one on the base hole (by "base hole" I mean the hole that I initially selected).  The other bolts/nuts/washers are not constrained to the holes.  So, I can drag the entire pattern & it spins radially about the axis of the base hole.

I've never seen this ridiculous behavior before IV 2013.  Am I the only one???

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jingyi.liu
in reply to: iamerm

Unfortunately, it's known Inventor Bolt connection behavior,as a work around, you can RMB the bolt connenction and check grounded option.

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Message 3 of 4
iamerm
in reply to: jingyi.liu

Thank you for your response.

Grounding could be a workaround.  You could also constrain the axis of one other bolt to the axis of one of the other holes.  Neither of these are really acceptable, though, because they ruin the adaptability of the bolted connection.

Is this 'known behavior' new to IV 2013, or did it happen in previous versions?

Message 4 of 4
iamerm
in reply to: iamerm

Two versions later (2015), this still seems to be an issue.  Or am I just using the software improperly?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report