Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bolted connection

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dane_m_steyne
257 Views, 4 Replies

bolted connection

Greetings

I`m joining pipes together using the nut/bolt/washer method using constraints in assembly then using pattern feature.I`ve not used the bolted connection generator before so i am looking for some feedback on whether this is a better method to use.Is there any advantage to using the bolted connection generator over the placement of nuts/bolts/washer with constraints and then using pattern feature?Using 2013

Cheers

Dane

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: dane_m_steyne

It can be an advantage in speed.  For example, if you use the same combination of fasteners a lot, BC lets you save that configuration for easy selection in the future.  There is also a "follow pattern" built in to the BC Wizard... assuming that the flanges you are using were made with patterned holes, not extrusion features.

My advice would be to give it a shot and see how you like it, it really can be a lot quicker when you get the hang of it.  One warning, there are no "studs" in the content center, so if you have studded flanges in your piping like we do... you'll have to make some.  That was NOT easy.

Message 3 of 5

Hello Chris

Thanks for the advice.I am going through the bolted connection and i find it good.

I have another question please.See the 2 attached INV 2013 examples....does the Bolted Connection work well for this type....How would you work out the thread size of each stud so the Nuts from the BC centre will fit correctly?

Thanks again

Dane

Message 4 of 5

Chris....if you get a chance could you please have a look at my previous post with the 2 examples and give your experience and thoughts

Dane

Message 5 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: dane_m_steyne

Dane,

I think these would not work so much with bolted connection, since you already have the stud present.  BC wants you to select a bolt as the first item.  For something like this, I usually go to the Content Center and use the Auto Drop for my nuts and washers, then pattern them.  It's more work,... maybe some day they'll make BC work with this type of connection as well.  Maybe I need to add that to the AUGI wish lists.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report