Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt Description in Part List

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
licensing
1839 Views, 8 Replies

Bolt Description in Part List

Hi,

Does anyone know how to show a different category in the Part List that the content center uses when describing bolts and nuts?  In the Bolted Connection Component Generator, I can open a table abou the bolt and see Part Number, Pitch, Thread Type, Size designation, etc...  Am I able to have any of those categories show up in a BOM or Parts List? (Part Number is the only one that will show up)

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cwhetten
in reply to: licensing

With the exception of Item # and quantity, only iProperties can be displayed in assembly BOMs and drawing parts lists.  The columns in a content center table can be iProperties, parameters, features, or none of the above.

So, unless the column you wish to display happens to be an iProperty, the only way to get it to show up is to edit the content center table.

Which columns do you want to display?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 3 of 9
licensing
in reply to: cwhetten

I'm trying to display the "Size Designation".  It's similiar to the Part Number but has only the basic relevent info- bolt dia, thread, and length- which is what I need on my drawing Parts List. The auto part number is a little confusing to read and might mix up our guys in the shop.

Message 4 of 9
cwhetten

Huh.  Of all the columns you could have picked, you picked the bizarre one.  I looked into this, and it appears that this column is mapped to an iProperty called "Size Designation", but this iProperty is not displayed like all of the others, and is not available as a choice of column in a BOM or drawing parts list.  And I have no idea why.

In order to get this info to show in your parts lists, you would have to edit the content center family table.  Have you ever done that before?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 5 of 9
licensing

Yes, I like to go for the bizzare!  Not on purpose, of course.  I know I've mentioned the actual properties I need, and it seems that "Size Designation" is the perfect one to use. But if there's another way of obtaining that information with out all the extra, I'm open to using that.

I have not edited the content center family table before but am definitely open to going that route!

Thanks, Cameron, for your help by the way! Much appreciated!

Message 6 of 9
cwhetten

I can't think of any way to get the info you need that doesn't involve editing the content center family table.

It's not particularly difficult to do, but it can be a pretty involved process, at least initially.  But it's nothing to be afraid of.  I do it all the time.  The Inventor standard content just isn't well-suited to our needs out-of-the-box, so we edit the part numbers and descriptions to our liking.

You didn't mention which version of Inventor you are using, so I will provide links to 2014 help content.  The first thing you'll have to do is educate yourself on how the content center works.  You'll want to have a basic understanding of what content center libraries are because you will need to create a custom read/write library in order to make any changes to family tables.  Also, you'll want to know whether your CC is installed locally (on each user's hard drive--this is called "Desktop Content"), or is installed in a server folder or on a vault server.

Second, you will want to familiarize yourself with the content center editor interface, where all of the customization happens.

Once you have a decent understanding of the way CC works, you can start to customize your content.  The first thing you will probably want to do is copy a standard family into your read/write library.  Then, you can start modifying the family table to your liking.

Warning:  The following might not make any sense until you have learned the stuff mentioned above.  What I would do to address your original issue is create a new column (string type) in the family table, then set its expression to display the contents of the Size Designation column (enter {DESIGNATION} into the expression field).  Then, map the column to a custom inventor property called "Size" (or whatever you want to call it--just don't name it the same as an existing iProperty).

Once this is done, any parts you place from this content center family will now have the special custom iProperty.  Then you should be able to add the column to your BOMs and parts lists (just add a custom column with the same name as your custom iProperty) and away you go!

This is a lot of information to digest, especially if you haven't done any CC customizing.  But, once you get the basics down and your custom library all set up, it's very simple and handy.

Post back if you have any more questions.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 7 of 9
licensing

That sounds like a good solution! I'll work on it and hopefully get something going over the weekend. I'll let you know what works. I'm running Inventor 2015 by the way with Content Center on a server.

Thank you!  

Message 8 of 9
licensing

I finally received access permission to access the data management server today.  I was able to make a new read/write library and now I'm faced with 3 options for copying the libraries I want to alter.  It won't let me "Save Copy As" on a whole folder. I have to go to each item and do that.  Is that the process I need to take if I want to edit and map properties?

Message 9 of 9
licensing

Cameron,

It worked out great!!  Thank you for the help!  I really appreciate the instructions!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report