Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block from Slice

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
idragonb
316 Views, 5 Replies

Block from Slice

Hi - I have searched and can't seem to find what would seem to me to be a common procedure. I am creating subassemblies in a main assembly and my computer can't handle the complexity (even with substitutes, although this helps). So I am interested in getting a slice of the main assembly and using it in the sub-assembly as a reference. I created a complex part using the derive and combine commands and then I trimmed the model on the plane that I want the section. I projected the sectioned parts to the sketch and tried to make a block, but that can't be done with projected entities - meanwhile I will cut another plane and take a thin section and insert it as a part, but I would still like to know how to make the block from a slice....

Thanks!!

Michael

Flow state:
Maximum challenge with maximum skills.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: idragonb

If I follow the question it is not really Block from Slice, but rather Block from Projected Geometry.

If that is the real question then select the projected geometry and right click Break LInk.

You can now make a Sketch Block.

If this is not the real problem, then more information is needed.

What do you mean by "block"?

Break Link.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
idragonb
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you understood me correctly and expressed it more succintly. But I tried what you suggested and I don't get break link in my right click menu - I am using Inventor 2012...

BTW I read your article regarding teaching instructors and saw the reference to text alignment... Nice

Michael

Flow state:
Message 4 of 6
idragonb

But I did find it in the model view which I am sure is what you intended - thanks again!

Flow state:
Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: idragonb

@idragonb wrote:

But I did find it in the model view which I am sure is what you intended - thanks again!

I think you mean Sketch Environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
idragonb

It was in the sketch environment, but I right clicked the object in the list of the assembly view in the object browser - is that the right way to express it? Smiley Happy

Flow state:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report