Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BiM Checking

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
billbrenner4604
292 Views, 6 Replies

BiM Checking

Ok, so I understand how to take my Inventor designs and make them into a .adsk file for use as BiM info. Without having revit how in the world am I supposed to check what I'm sending out to my clients? I'm sorry but it goes against everything I've ever learned to just make a file and send it out blindly without checking it.

Is this really how Autodesk thinks this process should work? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mflayler2
in reply to: billbrenner4604

Yes, this is the designed method.  If you created it correctly, then there is no problem, and it is pretty hard to screw up an ADSK, but you might want to check out my class I did on it at AU a year ago.

au.autodesk.com

free sign up

Search MA30-1R Digital Prototyping and BIM

There is a video and a handout

Note: the most important thing you do is not to bloat the ADSK, no one wants an ADSK file that is larger than 500kb - 2MB.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 7

I understand what you are saying, the process of making the file seems easy enough...but then again I make hundreds, if not thousands of dxf's a year for our manufacturing department; and you know what...I check every single one before it leaves my department.

I'm sorry, this may be the 'accepted' work flow for making these files, but I personally find it appalling that as Inventor users we are given the tools to make the files, but have no way to check the content of the file before sending it out. Quantity over quality rules our society I guess.

Message 4 of 7
mflayler2

Perhaps maybe you should get the Building Suite Ultimate or Plant Suite Ultimate version instead of Product Design Suite then?  Those Suites come with tools for opening the ADSK file and doing your checking.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 7

I think that was the whole point of my first message....I have to buy additional products (or switch out my current product) in order to check something I am able to make with my current software package. You don't find that odd?

Thank you for taking the time to confirm my question on whether or not I needed additional software.

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

How many of those 1000's of DXF files export incorrectly? just wondering.

I do step/iges files all the time and never check them and have never had a problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7

I would say about 5% of our dxf's have an error of some kind, almost always related to human error. But if the files weren't checked they would be sent along to manufacturing with errors.

Do you check your prints? Of course you do. I guess I just don't understand a design philosophy that doesn't include checking your work before sending it out the door.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report