Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIG BOM

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Dusty13760
773 Views, 10 Replies

BIG BOM

If the BOM is to big to fit on 1 sheet how can I get say half of it on another sheet?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: Dusty13760

Export it to Excel, then place it on the drawing in pieces as a table.  This does lose it's link to the model, however.  If you change your model data, you'd have to re-export and update the parts lists on the drawing. 

How big IS this thing?  Did you know you can break it into multiple columns?

Message 3 of 11
mpatchus
in reply to: cbenner

Autodesk has to come up with some more interactive tools for displaying large Parts Lists. 

Our assemblies typically consist of 2,000+ parts.  (Yes that is 2,000 UNIQUE parts.  Our assemblies generally run 15,000 to 18,000 occurences.)

We've given up tring to utilize Inventor to display the parts lists and simply export the entire thing to Excel and publish it as its own document.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: mpatchus

Our assemblies are genersally rather large as well, but we break them down in our detail prints by sub-assemblies.  So the main view's BOM only lists the subs.  Not everyone can do that, so I would have to agree.  More options on how to display the Parts Lists would be handy.  Perhaps an Idea Station topic?

Message 5 of 11
Cadmanto

Unfortunately the tools within the parts list only allow you to split the BOM at a designated item line location.

I have used other softwares where the ability to not only split the BOM was possible, but drag it to another sheet was also feasible.  That alone would solve this issue.  So, with that being said, please see this idea to cast your kudos vote.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Ability-to-Seperate-the-Parts-List/idi-p/4383714

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 11
CCarreiras
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi!

You can also make some "view Representations" in the main assembly and next, you can divide the intire BOM in "sub lists" across the 2D sheets, using filters based in the main assembly's "Views Representations" .

That way you have always the BOM updated, the only thing is that you have to be sure that all the parts are in one of that "sub lists"".

Regards.

Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
sam_m
in reply to: CCarreiras

If you're after a big parts list wrapping from 1 table to the next then how about just leaving it as 1 big bom, with its links all working, and use the normal Parts List table - now use the Filter Settings button (3rd along the top) and filter by item number and adjust so the parts list is as long as you want (say 1-100).  On the next page place another parts list table and filter again but this time set 101-200, etc.

But... if you want the parts list to represent the components only shown on that page, then it might be easiest to use the view-reps, as explained above.

all depends on what you want...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: sam_m

Sam,

Never having used the filter settings in the parts list (nor ever needed to) do you have to reset the filters if more items get added or subtracted?  Or do you just place a range and what ever falls within that range automatically gets effected.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 11
mpatchus

The filters will update, at least the "Balloned Parts" filter does from my experience.

My problem with using the filter is that you have no automatic way to ensure that you haven't accidently missed a part that should have been called out on that sheet/view.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 10 of 11
cbenner

On a side note... it might be wise to mention that the name of this thread should never be mentioned or discussed while sitting in an airport terminal.... unless one enjoys rather uncomfortable searches.  Smiley Surprised

Ok, I know I hijacked this thread... i couldn't resist.  Everyone back to thier knitting.

Message 11 of 11
marshallw

People have been asking for exactly this for almost 10 years. As usual, Autodesk is up to speed on what is required in the real world.

Formatting of parts lists on drawings should have been a priority from day 1 of Inventor's development. Nothing happens without viable parts lists & bills of material.

Come on, Autodesk, let's forget about displaying the model in watercolors & fix the stuff that makes this product useable in the real world.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Autodesk Inventor Certified Instructor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report