Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bi-Directional Patterning

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Cadmanto
1258 Views, 11 Replies

Bi-Directional Patterning

Is there a way to do both directions when doing a linear pattern?

One direction having "x" amount of instances and theother direction having a different amount?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
japike
in reply to: Cadmanto

I don't think that is possible with one pattern. You could do two patterns from the same feature.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: japike

Yeah,  I am not seeing a way myself.  That is why I posed the question in hopes that I was

overlooking something or maybe someone has figured out a way around this.

I did try whay you suggested in reusing the original parts used in the first pattern, but when I try it, it wants to

grab all of the patterned parts from the first pattern along with it.  I am still on 2012 so maybe this functionality

is more enhanced in 2013 or different to the point where it does work as you are describing.

Right now my thinking is to just reinsert these same parts into the location where I need it.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 12
japike

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about component patterns. My example was for feature patterns. 

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 5 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: japike

I'm sorry.  I should have been clearer. 

My bad!!!!  Smiley Embarassed

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 12
mrattray

Component patterns suck in Inventor. I don't know why AutoDesk neglects them so much, but it's a point of constant frustration.

Having said that, what is it that your trying to do? Could you accomplish it using the reuse feature pattern tool?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: mrattray

Mike,

You are certainly not going to get any arguments from me on that one!!!

I am sorry to say that the feature patterning tool will not help in this case.

I have a case where these parts in my iassembly factory for one of the iassemblies pattern one direction

"x" amount of times then increase in quantity for the other iassembly, but require to not only increase in the

same direction as the first, but go in the opposite direction as well.

What I ended up doing is in the second iassembly, changing the starting point to the beginning on the second

iassembly and it didn't screw up my first iassembly as I originally thought it might.

I have since placed an enhancement request in with Autodesk to add this functionality in the component patterening tool.  Other softwares have it, why not Inventor.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 12
cwhetten

There is one possibility that may or may not be suitable for what you need.

1. Start the rectangular component pattern command, and pick the direction you want.

2. Set the quantity to half of the total.

3. Set your distance between components.

4. Use the second direction pick and choose the SAME direction as the first pick, but flip it.

5. Set the quantity to 2.  (This effectively doubles the quantity in step 2).

6. Set the second distance to be the first distance times the first quantity.  If you already have parameters for these values, just use those; if you don't, you will have to set some dummy value, click OK, then re-edit the pattern and use the model parameters instead (it will end up something like d3*d5).

The above directions apply for an even-numbered pattern.  A few tweaks will get you an odd-numbered pattern (slightly different second distance formula, and the last component suppressed).  Also, this is for centered, symmetric patterns (although you could use it for a pattern that is asymmetrical by one occurrence in either direction).

I have attached an assembly and a part showing two examples of this (one example for an even-numbered pattern, and one for an odd-numbered pattern).

Message 9 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: cwhetten

Chris,

Tried this method and it worked like a charm.  Infact when it was done in fron t of my VAR they were estonished to the point they were going to publish it as a tip and trick.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 12
cwhetten

I don't know if I never attached the part file, or if it just got lost somehow, but I have re-attached the assembly and part to this post (file version is 2014).

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 11 of 12
roakley

just remeber to go back and supress the last element in the pattern (it will be a duplicate of the first element) or you BOM will show too many items

Message 12 of 12
tim7ZXZT

Awesome! Thank you! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report