Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beveled edge on box shape

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
mahall
1323 Views, 16 Replies

Beveled edge on box shape

Hello,

I am fresh on the inventor bandwagon so this may seem remedial.

I have a box shape, open in the front which will be 1 part of a larger furniture unit.

I would like to create a beveled edge along the front face to receive a similarly beveled drawer.

This has been a problem.

I've read that I should look in the surface window and choose planar surface, but the inventor 2012 that I have has no planar surface tab.

So, if someone could direct me to this tab or explain a better way to create a bevel on an open box, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
mcgyvr
in reply to: mahall

Did you try the chamfer button? A bevel is a chamfer..

Post your part or at least a drawing or picture or something.. A bevel on a box can be interpreted in many ways.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 17
mahall
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi Thanks.

I did try the chamfor tool but it would not allow me to bevel along the 1/2 edge on the box.

So, the planar surface is not the way to go?

Message 4 of 17
mahall

On the image you will notice that there is a beveled edge which I got by selecting the delete plane option twice on one plan. I would like to be able to bevel in a differenct way though, because that option is not good for other parts.

Message 5 of 17
tbitting

Like this? Or are you looking for something different?

Tim Bitting
Windows 7 x64
IV 2012
Message 6 of 17
mcgyvr

@mahall wrote:

On the image you will notice that there is a beveled edge which I got by selecting the delete plane option twice on one plan. I would like to be able to bevel in a differenct way though, because that option is not good for other parts.

what image?

yes is what Tim posted what you want? I just modeled up the same thing and went to upload and noticed Tims is exactly what I was about to post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 17
mcgyvr

oh and I have no idea what you were told to do about a planar surface,etc.. but my suggestion is that if you are new to inventor don't do anything with surfacing yet.. start with the basics first.. Stick to extrude/revolve/hole/fillet/chamfer.

"You shouldn't try to run when you stumble over your own feet just walking"

Message 8 of 17
mahall
in reply to: tbitting

Yes Tim. That is what I'd like to do.

Message 9 of 17
mahall

Is there a way to delete a surface plane without the surface function?

Message 10 of 17
tbitting

mahall,

I'm not sure what you asking no need to delete anything to get what you want.

Tim Bitting
Windows 7 x64
IV 2012
Message 11 of 17
mahall

Thanks for the reply. On that piece there is no need, but similar others need to have the back open.

If you don't mind...

How do you bevel the entire edge with the chamfer tool. I can only seem to get a portion of the edge chamfered?

Message 12 of 17
tbitting

What are you calling the back? The part I posted was open on both ends.  Maybe something like this. I think you may be making it harder then it is.

Tim Bitting
Windows 7 x64
IV 2012
Message 13 of 17
mcgyvr

@mahall wrote:

Thanks for the reply. On that piece there is no need, but similar others need to have the back open.

If you don't mind...

How do you bevel the entire edge with the chamfer tool. I can only seem to get a portion of the edge chamfered?

First you don't need to use surfacing tools. They are not for beginners.Forget you saw that whole toolbar.

To chamfer the entire edge you need to adjust the chamfer distance/angle,etc.. to suit your needs..

I'd highly suggest getting some proper training before you pick up some bad habits.

Message 14 of 17
JDMather

If you get stuck - create a hand sketch of what you are after (those old pencil and paper tools) and scan it and attach it here.
Sounds like it should be pretty easy design.... ...if someone could figure out what you are after.

I noticed that your first sketch isn't constrained - you might start here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

and as noted - forget you ever saw the Delete Face tool for at least 6-months or more. 

That tool is rarely used and only by advanced users.  There is almost always a better technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 15 of 17
mahall

The beveled edge is the front edge, beveled to recieve a drawer face which is also beveled. Some of the drawer boxes need to have the back side, the side opposite the beveled side, open for attachment components.

Surely I am making this more dificult than need be. 

The work flow so far has been:

Sketch

extrude

shell

chamfer

Does this seem appropriate?

Message 16 of 17
mahall

Your first rendition of the drawer box was precisely what is called for, in some cases, in others the side opposite the beveled side would be closed.

Message 17 of 17
mahall
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the advise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report