Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better measure tool in Inventor

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DRoam
3061 Views, 7 Replies

Better measure tool in Inventor

Before I make a post in the IdeaStation, I wanted to ask two questions:

1. Is there already a request in the IdeaStation for a better measurement capabilities in Inventor? If so, I couldn't find it.

2. Are more versatile and user-friendly measuring/inspection capabilities something many people besides me would like to see?

I find the tools in Inventor's Inspect > Measure panel very cumbersome, limited, and non-user friendly. I often have to escape out of the command between every measurement to be sure it will operate properly. I cannot measure any distance involving a round surface, such as the tangential distance to a circumference. I cannot see a history of previous measurements. I have to use round-about methods to measure certain features; for example, I have to click a random face before I can pick the center of a circle as my first measuring point.

The ability to keep measurements displayed, almost like temporary 3D dimensions, for purpose of active analysis of a component (as I was trying to do with my boss the other day) would be very useful; that way as I'm navigating around my part or assembly I can see in real-time the precise dimension of features I care about rather than measuring and re-measuring as I'm trying to determine things about the model.

Would anyone else like to see an Idea posted in the IdeaStation requesting these or any other improvements to the Measuring tool?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: DRoam

Yes, I would like to see a more advanced maeasuring tool.  A specially when it came to tangent distances.

Even though you didn't find anything I would post it anyway.  That is your true test to see if there is a calling for it.  Besides, if there is already one in the idea station the Autodesk admins will mark it as a duplicate.

Just do it.  What do you have to loose?  When you do, post a link to it here in this thread.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8
DRoam
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto: thanks for the input. See the new IdeaStation post here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Improved-measurement-tools/idi-p/3842001

Thanks,

DRoam

Message 4 of 8
DRoam

By the way, Cadmanto, just noticed the verse in your signature. Love it. God be praised.

Message 5 of 8
Cadmanto

He deserves all of it.  The praise that is.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for noticing.  One of the ways I try to minister at work.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 8
drawings

i make a drawing to get many measurements
Message 7 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: drawings

"drawings" ,

What are you trying to say about the measuring tool?  Did you cast your vote in the ideas station per the link above?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 8
blair

Sometime I just end up creating a sketch in the model, project the geometry and create a tangent line and get the distance and find the length of the line. Then delete the sketch.

I think the poster is trying to get the tangent distance from a curved surface to another point/edge/face. As simple as it is to do in a sketch with a line and tangent constraints in a 2D world, this is a bit tougher in a 3D world. Are you measuring on a single plane X and Y components with a Vector Length or X, Y and Z with the Vector length being the product of all three components.

I do agree that the Measure Tool needs improvement though.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report