Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Copy and RE-USE an Existing Assembly controlled by a Spreadsheet?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
SteveFrey
297 Views, 6 Replies

Best Way to Copy and RE-USE an Existing Assembly controlled by a Spreadsheet?

What is the best practice to copy and re-use an existing assembly that is controlled by an excel spreadsheet?  I tried the Design Assistant, SDK CopyDesign Tool, iLogic Design Copy tools but none of them work correctly.  I need to retain the control of the spreadsheet once copied.  Does anyone have any idea on this one?  Thanks.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveFrey

What are you controlling in the spreadsheet?

I would think and exact copy would refrence the original spreadsheet.
  Is this an item in your library?

Or is this a spreadsheet that you want to have control numerous assemblies that are similar but named differently?

T.S.

Message 3 of 7
nannerdw

You can use Pack and Go (under "Save As" in the file menu) to copy the assembly along with all of its linked files.

Message 4 of 7
SteveFrey
in reply to: Anonymous

I am controlling multiple parts across two sub-assemblies.  I basically need to copy the entire assembly and re-use it again in a completely new configuration for a new customer. 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 5 of 7
SteveFrey
in reply to: nannerdw

Pack and Go won't work because when I modify the copied assembly, the original assembly gets modified, too.  I need something that is totally independent from the original.  I think the only way around this is to put the new assembly in a new project but that won't work for me.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Yes,  to get the sepeartion they need to be in seperate projects.

A new customer would be a new project right? or do you need the old and the new configuration together for the new client?

You could probably manually break the tie and reconfigure them, but it may take ilogic, I have not used spreadsheet control, only part linking, so I cannot help there.

I am well versed in Pack-n-go  and it will completely break the connections.

This isn't guanteed but I had someting similar work for me when I wanted to break an assembly with frame components into two seperate copies in one project.

You could pack it up into a new project directory,  refine the directory structure to just one folder if that is possible.

Adjust any file names that need to be different from the original.

They you might be able to copy the one directory back into your original project and have it behave properly.

Leaving the contents in its own directory within the project for organizational / seperational purposes.

T.S.

Message 7 of 7
SteveFrey
in reply to: Anonymous

I need them all to reside in one project.  Part linking does work but for some of my assemblies it won't work for this one.  I should be using iLogic as it would simplify everything except I haven't been able to grasp it.  I wish there was a way to simply copy one assembly so I can re-use it.  Hmmm.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report