Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice Inventor Project File Vault Setup

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jazzy283
1753 Views, 9 Replies

Best Practice Inventor Project File Vault Setup

So, complete noob here. Many many many many years using PTC Windchill and ProEngineer/CREO.

Just trying to understand the best practices for working with Inventor and Vault, specifically what to do with the project files.

I have a single vault project file at the root of the vault.

Here is my structure.

$

Vault_Project_File.ipj

Libraries

Projects

Project 1

Project 2

So is it possible to change the workspace setting when working on different projects? It seems rather annoying to have the save dialog box always go to the root workspace folder. I guess the general questions is how to deal with working on different projects/folders with a single project file with the utmost efficiency?

What else do I need to understand with how Inventor works with vault?

There are a few posts out there but didn't see too much and the help files are rather lacking. Any further information is greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
salariua
in reply to: jazzy283

Welcome to the forum.

You can add Freqently Used Foldes to your project to speed up your navigation but if you have multiple project and you open from Vault it will ask you everytime "what project do you want to use to open this file?"

Everywhere I've been a "one project" procedure was in place for using with vault.You can also add shortcuts in your workspace folder to take you to your current project.

535.jpg

536.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
jazzy283
in reply to: salariua

Very very helpful. Thank you.

I have a further question. So if I am working on files in different foldier/libraries/etc and I have them checked out how do I go about checking them all back in at once within Inventor? Do I have to open each checked out item and check in from the Vault tab?

For example, in PTC's Windchill I was able to view my entire workspace and what was checked out. I could then easily check each item back in irrespective of what folder/location they are located in all at one time from a single interface.

Message 4 of 10
salariua

I only have the vault basic (free) and I don't have that option but I have a saved search in Vault (program) that shows me all my checked out files and I can check in, undo check out; however it advices that you do the check-in from Inventor.

Open the main assembly and do check-in. Sometimes when doing tube and pipe and make a lot of changed (change sizes, creates new files)I am left with a lot of pipes and hoses checked-out (replaced by change size) so after sending the new assembly all in I go to vault and undo the check-out for the rest to keep them as per last version before all changes.

Hope it makes sense. Use vault search to make your own custom search and save it as search folder.

557.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 5 of 10
Neil_Cross

Some very good advice above, can I kindly add to that and advise that there is an option which will scan your local workspace and check it all in at once.

Within Inventor, I'm not sure why it isn't on the ribbon bar but select the top left main application button > Vault Server > Check In Project.  You may have to scroll down the menu to get to it.

01-12-2014 08-39-52.png

This will check in everything that you have checked out, if you don't follow best practice and keep a clean tidy workspace then it can take a while to scan through the workspace to check for files at this stage, but either way it should get the job done.  I have Vault Professional but off memory this was also available in Vault basic.

Message 6 of 10
salariua
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Neil,

You are correct, I have a check in project but I neve use it. It's currently scanning 22400 files Smiley Surprised 

Life it's to short to wait for it. We don't delete anything of our local disk, just update it when needed.

559.jpg

560.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 7 of 10
Neil_Cross

And in addition to your original post, regarding some other things to be conscious of when using Inventor & Vault.

It's a training course in itself so obviously impossible to summarise it all into a forum post! But my advice would be to always pay attention to the prompts you're given, some of the biggest problems and messiest messes have been caused by folk ignoring prompts and clicking yes to everything.  The prompts can be irritating and spammy at times, but they're their for a good reason and if you read them and think about what they're asking and how that impacts on your work at the time, you should be fine Smiley Happy

Secondly, keep your local workspace as clean and tidy as possible.  Check in all work at the end of every working day, in an ideal world have no files in there at all at the start of the next day other than the IPJ file and parent workspace folders.  It's a little extra maintenance to keep up, but it's well worth it.

If you have any Vault related questions or concerns, head on over to the Vault forums Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Neil_Cross

Oooh wow, that is a lot of files to scan Smiley Surprised

Ironically I just advised the OP to keep a clean workspace but I guess you guys have discussed, considered and dismissed this practice for good reason.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
salariua
in reply to: Neil_Cross

We do check in at the end of the day, nothing gets left out. We have a huge library of files and CC items so can't really say that cleaning up every time (deleting local files) will be better. We tend to work on several project a day and open at least a doze for reference. I understand the mentality on keeping it clean if we would be working on one project for days, months. 

You are totally correct about CHECKING THE MESSAGE WINDOWS. When in a hurry you can do a lot of damage, by not paying attention to the questions.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 10 of 10
jazzy283

Thank you very much to all! Time to dive in and learn this new system.

Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report