Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best mouse for navigating large IV assemblies

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
WORKSTATIONresearch
1275 Views, 36 Replies

Best mouse for navigating large IV assemblies

Can anyone recommend a wireless mouse that is best for its navigating qualities within large IV assemblies?  Please keep the complexity to a minimum (no superfluous IV capabilities) while still maintaining important navigation qualities.

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37

I'm using a Logitech M510 with a 3D connexion space navigator. Since I am usually on a laptop. If you're on a desktop I would suggest the Space Mouse Pro instead of the Navigator.
Message 3 of 37

Hi Donovan,

Thanks for your recommendation.  I've investigated the 3D Connection Space Pilot Pro.  It seems a good choice but I'm looking for a wireless device.  Amazon states that it is "wired".  All photos on the 3D Connection website indicate it is wireless, but do not so state.  I don't want a wired device because that makes an otherwise versatile device cumbersome.

If you or anyone that owns one of these can provide whether or not this is wired I will much apprecaite that.

If it turns out this is wired I will have to consider 3D Connection's representation as deceptive.  I've noticed that Logitech may have a competing model, but haven't looked into the details as yet.  If anyone is using an equivalent Logitech 3D mouse (wireless) can you please provide the model and whether you find it would meed my needs based on my original message?

There is one other issue for those who might be using the SpacePilot Pro.  It is pretty expensive, although I've found a price around $350 w/ s/h at a reputable vendor.  My experience with these devices is that they tend to wear out the bottom side from sliding over the surfaces they are used on.  Can anyone please respond on that issue?

Message 4 of 37
blair
in reply to: DonovanCox

I use a MX Revolution with a SpacePilot Pro at work, and at home the same mouse but with a SpacePilot. When on the road with my laptop a "Traveler".

The only way to go is with a 3dConnexion motion controler and any 2 or 3 button mouse.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 37

By the way, my interest in the Space Pilot Pro, based on my original message, doesn't indicate that I favor it at this point.  I've made no decision and usually start at the top and remove costly features that I can really do without as I continue to look into it.  Sometimes that way someone will offer what I'm looking for at a very low price (from a trustworthy source).  Many times that indicates the device is at the end of its manufacturing life and inventory is being discounted.

Message 6 of 37
blair
in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

They don't slide, in fact they have fairly sticky rubber feet to stop them from sliding. I have yet to see a wireless 3D motion controler from 3dconnxion. They are all wired to the USB port.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 37
WORKSTATIONresearch
in reply to: blair

You lost me on that one, Blair.  How/why can you use both together?  The Space Pilot Pro appears to have more than enough features within to make another device unnecessary.

If you've had the Space Pilot Pro for a number of years can you tell me if the underside is becoming worn to the point that it impacts its functionality?

Message 8 of 37
blair
in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

You use the mouse in your RH and the 3d motion controller in your LH (assuming you are Righ-Handed). The funny looking round puck device is like a joy-stick that allows you to rotate, pan, spin and zoom the item in your main work browser window.

Depending on your device, it may have buttons which can be programed for various commands. These button commands will change depending on which enviroment you are in, Sketch, IPT, IAM and IDW.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/what-is-a-3d-mouse.html

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 37
DonovanCox

To expand on this, you're still using a mouse for pointing and selecting, the 3Dconnexion(3DX) device starts with rotation in or movement in any axis. As you move up the product line you can use the buttons on the 3DX device to call commands. You'll still need a keyboard for things like number entry though.
Message 10 of 37

So far it seems most are using a standard mouse along with the Space Pilot Pro.  If not using a standard mouse is any functionality lost for other purposes.  For example, if a text file is opened and you wish to move up and down a page, select text, etc., is it still possible with the Space Pilot Pro?  3D Connection shows an image with such things selectable as MS Outlook.  This seems to imply that Space Pilot Pro can do the same tasks as a mouse, and I understand the additional need for a keyboard.  On the other hand their images are deceptive because no cord is attached to any of their representations of their devices.  There must be some reason that all of you are using a mouse as well if you also are using the Space Pilot Pro.  Does, for example, the 3D Connection Navigator pick up debris and need to be taken apart and cleaned?  I’ve looked at the link showing how it is constructed.

I am trying to reduce clutter on the desktop, if possible, and that is the reason for the above questions, plus any complexity introduced by having 2 input devices (besides the keyboard).  It has also occurred that in an engineering department setting the cord helps discourage theft, and the Space Pilot Pro would be a candidate because of its cost thus making demand low for a wireless device.  Therefore I can understand that in a corporate environment it would be a tough sell to acquire the Space Pilot Pro when the Space Navigator is relatively inexpensive.  It does appear that it is constructed exactly the same when combined as an assembly into the Space Pilot Pro, possibly with a modified detector to reach the surface underneath.

On the other hand, it would seem that the patent rights to 3D Connection devices are running out (20 years).  Maybe that’s why there are no cords shown.  They (Logitech and its 3D Connection subsidiary) have shelved release of the cordless devices for that point in time when other companies will soon be providing competing devices at a much lower cost.  3D Connections website mentions introduction of its device in 1993.  It does look like actual construction and software is much less than $100 for 3D Connections most expensive input devices, probably in the under $10 range.  As 3D solutions become more widespread so, it would seem, would be demand for 3D input devices.  Would it be a surprise to anyone if someone other than Logitech were to provide 3D input devices?  Microsoft?  Apple?  An example of what might be one of many 3D input devices in the future is at the following link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mycestro/mycestrotm-the-next-generation-3d-mouse

The following link is a YouTube presentation of the SpaceMouse Pro used in conjunction with Google Earth, a widely used mapping program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIi1s1dNaCg

One criticism I have with all devices of this type, particularly keyboards, is that the characters printed on the keys tend to wear off after a few years.  Any comments on that issue would be appreciated relative to the Space Pilot Pro.  There used to be inlaid characters a long time ago for keyboards.  Now the bean counters have done away with them.

Message 11 of 37

Its always Mouse + 3d connexion device.

The 3d "puck" is for view navigation only (zooming/panning,rotating)

The "cursor" will be controlled by the regular mouse.

Some have buttons but it is NEVER meant to replace a mouse. The buttons fire up certain dialog boxes, start commands,etc... 

I have the Space Pilot and have for a few years now and rarely use anymore than 1 or 2 of the buttons.. IMO the Space Navigator is really all you need (+ a regular mouse of course).. 

It makes a remarkable difference in how fast you work though.. I can't even work at home because I literally can't stand working in the 3d world without out one. 

With their latest drivers they can control lots of other programs too.. like Outlook/Web Browser, Word,etc... but again its basic page navigation and button functionality.. Not meant to replace a mouse.. No cursor is tied to it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 37

I've used the SpaceNavigator in the past, and currently use a SpaceMouse Pro.  That's basically the lowest-end model and a mid-range version.  My thoughts after using both of them are that the jump from not having a 3D mouse to having one is much bigger in effect than the step from one model to the next.  All the extra buttons are nice, but the most important function is the 3D navigation puck, which is present on all models.  If you're having a lot of trouble deciding, I'd suggest picking up a Navigator (which is very inexpensive - you can find them for <$100) and trying it out.

One thing you seem to be a little confused on is that the 3D Connexion devices do not replace a mouse.  They are designed to be used in conjunction with a mouse, in the opposite hand.  You actually can't use the 3D device by itself, as it is designed to move views on the screen, not to move the cursor or actually select anything.

Personally, I'm a lefty, who long ago learned to use a mouse right-handed.  Having the SpaceMouse for my left hand puts a lot of the power back to my dominant hand, which improves my performance quite a bit.  It also takes a lot of strain off your mouse hand, as you no longer need to use mouse/keyboard combos to pan, zoom, and rotate. 

Message 13 of 37

The 3D mice simply rotate your model in 3D for easier and quicker access and especially handy for placing constraints. Couldn't do without one now, plus a few handy buttons for preset functions. it does not replace your normal mouse. It simply adds the functionality of being able to quickly rotate your model in 3d space. Can you do without one? Yes. Will you want to if you ever use one? No.

I've got one of the smaller ones, good for portability, and for most users they work just as well as the more expensive models, just fewer bells and whistles.

Or wait until the next generation gets worked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKbqX-WUx9c

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 14 of 37
JDMather
in reply to: swhite

I have several of the 3DConnexion models.  The Navigator is the one I use the most and almost never use the buttons even on that one.  The puck for navigation is all I need/use.

I do not like the out of the box settings for zoom/pan and change those so that pan up/down similar pan left/right.

I use with Inventor, Autodesk Simulation, SWx and Creo.  Also use with Google Earth before visiting any city I have not driven through before.

Once you get used to working with it - hard to work without one.

Particularly in adding fillets, assembling parts, routed systems (almost impossible torture without one).

And I have observed myself and students simply using for constant motion of model while planning next step in the design process.  Our screens are still 2D representations of 3D.  Motion helps give the impression of working in 3D.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 15 of 37
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

And I have observed myself and students simply using for constant motion of model while planning next step in the design process.  Our screens are still 2D representations of 3D.  Motion helps give the impression of working in 3D.

And here I thought I was the only goofy one who does that.. Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 16 of 37
swhite
in reply to: mcgyvr

I think that's pretty universal behavior 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 17 of 37
blair

The first couple of hours, the "Home View" icon on the screen is your best friend. After that, the only way you will want to work is with one. The only way they will be able to take if from you is to "pry it from your cold dead hand".

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 37

A sample of what a 3D mouse does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIi1s1dNaCg

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 19 of 37
blair

Probably an even better one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMq5IkGB7lE

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 37
JDMather

I didn't watch either all the way through.  Does either one use any of the buttons?  Point is, the more expensive models shown might not be needed.  Space Navigator with two buttons (that I rarely use) does all I need.  One of the buttons does Zoom All and I don't even remember what the other one does.  Navigation puck is all I use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report