Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best/fastest way to make this? "Alot" of holes.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Callesson
864 Views, 5 Replies

Best/fastest way to make this? "Alot" of holes.

Hi!

Fast question.

Hows the fastest way to make this part? and easiest way to change things after its complete(if thats needs to be done)

Or am I doing alright? If you could take a look it would be gr8. Using Inventor 2012.

File is atteched.

Attaching a print aswell.

holes.PNG

Thanks!

/calle

Autodesk Inventor 2015 User
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jurgen.galba
in reply to: Callesson

i always place a circle and a radial line in a sketch in construction line, and hit 1 point at the intsection of both. place an angle dimension to position the radial line, even when the value should be "0". I don't use horizontal or vertical constraint because of easy access to that value due design changes.

I follow with the Hole feature instead of extrude, this has more options like counterbore, distance, clearance hole...

then directly after the hole, do a pattern for each circular hole combination.

advantages: you can steer each position of the point seperately when it needs changes, as well as the shape of the hole, and the circular positioning.

when having multiple holes, always do hole first, then directly the pattern, so the two features are below eatchother in the tree.

this gives the user more and faster readability of how the model was built

- Aut viam inveniam aut faciam -
(I shall either find a way or make one.)
Message 3 of 6
Callesson
in reply to: jurgen.galba

@jurgen.galba wrote:
<TEXT>

Okey gr8. I will look into it when I have the time.
Im not sure I fully understand but I will come back to ya. Maybe you could do a part and send it for me to show how its made?

Thanks bud!

While we're here...

I got another problem with this part. I want it to be fold like the picture is showing. (I dont have to use this command)So i'm using Hem. Not sure its the right choice, but im not that good with Sheet Metal.

Why do I get ERROR/FAILED to when I try do this?

why.PNG

Message 4 of 6
LT.Rusty
in reply to: jurgen.galba

@jurgen.galba wrote:

i always place a circle and a radial line in a sketch in construction line, and hit 1 point at the intsection of both. place an angle dimension to position the radial line, even when the value should be "0". I don't use horizontal or vertical constraint because of easy access to that value due design changes.

I follow with the Hole feature instead of extrude, this has more options like counterbore, distance, clearance hole...

then directly after the hole, do a pattern for each circular hole combination.

advantages: you can steer each position of the point seperately when it needs changes, as well as the shape of the hole, and the circular positioning.

when having multiple holes, always do hole first, then directly the pattern, so the two features are below eatchother in the tree.

this gives the user more and faster readability of how the model was built

Yep, what he said. 

I want to emphasize what he said about using the hole tool rather than the extrusion tool to make your holes.  Using the extrude tool does not give you nearly the same control - or even the same functionality - as the hole tool, either at the part level or at the assembly level, and ESPECIALLY not at the drawing level.

Hole tool is there for a reason.  Use it.  🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
swalton
in reply to: Callesson

Two things:

1.  Use feature patterns as much as possible for your holes.  The pattern component command in the iam files will follow a feature pattern, but not a sketch pattern.  That means that you can constrain one fastener at the origin feature and pattern it too.  Less effort to build your assemblies.

2. I think your hem is failing because of the holes in your base flange that cut across the bend.  Move your holes or move your bend and I think you will have better luck.  You might try making your holes after the hem feature, but I don't think that will unfold in IV 2012.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 6
Callesson
in reply to: swalton

@swalton wrote:

Two things:

1.  Use feature patterns as much as possible for your holes.  The pattern component command in the iam files will follow a feature pattern, but not a sketch pattern.  That means that you can constrain one fastener at the origin feature and pattern it too.  Less effort to build your assemblies.

2. I think your hem is failing because of the holes in your base flange that cut across the bend.  Move your holes or move your bend and I think you will have better luck.  You might try making your holes after the hem feature, but I don't think that will unfold in IV 2012.

1. Ye, that's true and I think I will try use it more thanks 🙂

2. Yepp, guess I was to tired at work.. how could I not see that.. thansk!:)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report