Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of Inventor 2012/2013 compared to Inventor PRO 11 (2007)

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
damillenium
977 Views, 25 Replies

Benefits of Inventor 2012/2013 compared to Inventor PRO 11 (2007)

Hi

I work with Inventor PRO 11 but I want to change the version to use Inventor 2012 or 2013. My boss asks me what are the benefits of changing the version!

So I need strong argument for my boss buys me the latest version ...

Can you tell me what are the major changes that were made to Inventor for 4 years.

thanks

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Vlad.Makarov
in reply to: ampster402

You have a fair point but I feel this "change for the better" is nothing but a different color paint on a rusty chair.

Using a stopwatch, slowdowns of half a second or more exist compared to the old UI. That is not progress to me.

Meanwhile, at release 2013 the software still fails on operations easily done on a 3 axis mill.

jletcher
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

richos69 said :

i doubt that you run 3000 commands a day more like 200 - 300 max

when it was the old classic interface 3000 was nothing but yeah on this new interface I'm down to 200

and if you only do 200 to 300 old or new interface to me you are not working at my speed and is why you like the new interface makes you look fast.

1 click = 0.1 secs

you must have a very small monitor. mine is 32" it takes me that long just to look up at the new interface when with the old the panel with the commands was right next to my mouse in the graphics window not docked so I only needed to move mouse very little now with new interface its like miles, move pointeer lift up mouse pull back mouse put mouse down move pointer closer to interface repeat till I reach interface.  so your time way off..

The projects we design these days with 10 to 20 Engineers and 10 to 20 drafters take 1/8th of the time it used to take 50 engineers and 100 drafters on drawing machines and slide rules.

Has nothing to do with Inventor. But change of times.

the whole extra click story was invented by lazy drafters trying to come up with excuses for there poor performance

I don't see this being true at all. when you add clicks to the same command it will take longer, when I have to find the tab a command is under may have a brain fart and click 4 tabs before the light goes off. never had that issue with the old interface. when I was done with sketch it put me on model all by itself it was cool and when I demo that feature the crowd goes wild because they no long have to find it. and trust me I worked with alot of engineers old and young I could show you ten times where it is the next day you will ask again. In the old there it was for you..

for every extra click in a new release, there are usually a myriad of other time saving improvments that actually impact on productivity in a positive way

Well I'm still looking for the improvments from the extra click. oh I found it the new picture on the box was an improvment.

Here new thing for you.

I just design this new keyboard the buttons press 5 times faster but I moved the keys around but don't worry you will get use to it.. the "F" key are where the numbers were. the "A" key is now in the "M" key location The "G" key is now the "TAB" key the "TAB" key is now the "DELETE" key. and you have to hit enter 3 times before it enters.

Message 23 of 26
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: jletcher

I blame that dam mini toolbar. I hate that thing. Plus you can not turn it off and just use the dialog windows.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 24 of 26
jletcher
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

yeah I dislike those too but I see in near future 2014 2015 the old dialog will go away then we will have to deal with that mini  crap.... But not me I will not update again 2012 will be as far as I go as long as I can anyway.

Don't like the changes that they are making to me they are not very good..

Sad too  as I loved Inventor they use to call my Inventor Jim, now not so when asked about Inventor I just act as if I never herd them..

Smiley Sad

Message 25 of 26
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: jletcher

what a wally

while you are counting clicks, I am producing MASSIVE amounts of work (I look fast because I understand the engineering and have techniques that allow me to leverage the power of the program nothing to do with the interface) using the new tools that have been offered to me by Inventor, plant3d, asd, revit, navisworks,...the list goes on

while your plowing through the old classic menus, ive RMB's or ribboned (including the extra clicks) and have moved on to another part of the design.

stop trying to quantify something that has little to no relation to the outcome...better designs delivered at a lower overall cost. The cost of 'clicking' on a project is 1/100000 of the cost of the project.

We are producing more and more accurate design data at a lower overall cost than ever before in history

try loading inventor 7 and produce project documentation similar to what you are producing on Inventor 2013, I guarantee you will be counting clicks till the cows come home.

Home many clicks did it take you to respond? did you count them, did they have an impact on your deliverables????

Im sick of this "it takes me an extra click to do a command therefore the new software is flawed" story

I judge my productivity on total output, not on how long a certain task takes. Thats one of the reasons why Im a Senior Designer with one of the biggest Multinational EPCM's on the Planet

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 26 of 26
stevec781
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

For the OP this is a great example of being carefull with who you listen to.  You will find that the views of an employee who is paid the same each week no matter what and is given the software to use for free differ greatly from the self employed that pay their own expenses and get paid based solely on productivity.  Same goes for educators and trainers.  Problems dont cost them money, they actualy give them something to teach and consult about.

I once worked for a big company and had a fancy title and a six figure salary and I can assure you that my views about software are very different now that I am a business owner.  Its now my time and my money and every problem makes a difference.  The days of saying oh well, who cares, just book it to re-work are long gone.  I look at the cost of subscription compared to what I got and am glad I didnt pay it on 20 seats.  I also find the bigger the company is the less likely they are to ever consider changing software.  They becoome brand loyal because they are afraid of problems that change may cause with old data.

But for you (the OP) you are making a decision about spending someone elses money, so since 2007 is so out of date treat this as a new software purchase and look at all the options and make the best decision for your boss based on what you need the software to do.  They have all come a long way since 2007.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report