Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bending error when creating a flat pattern

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dcolquitt
518 Views, 6 Replies

bending error when creating a flat pattern

Hello, I am in the middle of creating a sheet metal part and when I try to get inventor to create a flat patteren it gives me the following error. "Could not build this FlatPattern Could not split between bend and plate. Please check if there is a relief gap so the bend can be deformed." sadly im not seeing the error that it is talking about. Any ideas?  Thank you in advance and I am attaching the file in question.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: dcolquitt

@dcolquitt wrote:

... Any ideas? 

Don't use Fold feature - it isn't needed.

Model in finished form to the finished form dimensions.

You have a bunch of errors - starting with Sketch32.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
dcolquitt
in reply to: JDMather

"Don't use Fold feature - it isn't needed.

Model in finished form to the finished form dimensions."

Are you saying just create the part as a normal part to the finish dimensions and then convert it to a sheet metal part, then create a flat pattern? Just an fyi I am a newbe when it comes to the sheet metal tool in inventor. Thank you for your time and help on this matter.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

You can either create as normal part and convert to sheet metal (if you know how)

or

create in finished form as sheet metal part.  Looking at the geometry - I am pretty sure I would create as sheet metal from start to finish.

Are you modeling an existing part?  If so, can you attach image of the finished part, I was going to show how I might model this part, but it is difficult to tell where you are going with this design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
dcolquitt
in reply to: JDMather

"You can either create as normal part and convert to sheet metal (if you know how)

or

create in finished form as sheet metal part.  Looking at the geometry - I am pretty sure I would create as sheet metal from start to finish.

Are you modeling an existing part?  If so, can you attach image of the finished part, I was going to show how I might model this part, but it is difficult to tell where you are going with this design."

The main culprit seems to be fold 19 and 20 if i supress them then inventor will create the flat pattern. This is from an actual part however due to my companys policy i cannot send pics of the finished part sorry. would it be better to use the bend tool rather than the fold tool? i thank you for your help and time.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@dcolquitt wrote:

... would it be better to use the bend tool rather than the fold tool?

No!

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not look normal. There is something wrong with the part. I need to take a closer look. I will get back to you with my findings.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report