Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bending Derived Component

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cjackson9613
369 Views, 5 Replies

Bending Derived Component

I was wondering if there is a way to bend a derived componet. I have an odd extruded part and would like to cut and bend it. I want to do it this way so I can also include the cut length before bend. I know of frame generator, but am not able to use it since if falls out of the structure of how our files are saved.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: cjackson9613

Christina,

Need a little more information.  Did you create this derived part?  Is this a part that was created from another part and has references to that part?

Is this a sheet metal part?  Can you post some images of what you have and what you are looking for?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
cjackson9613
in reply to: Cadmanto

I created the extruded component and derived it into a new ipt. Within the new ipt with the derived part I am able to cut it to length, and bend the part (3d Model, Modify tab), but unable to get the cut length onto the drawing without creating a new ipt without the bend.

Message 4 of 6
BarryZA

I was working with someone else's bent parts a while ago, but they were just sheet metal. They had been formed using the command you mention. The problem in this case was that this command does not factor in the material deformation in the bend, as would happen in the real world.

These drawings were then passed on to the manufacturer, and they could not produce the bent part accuratley from the flat part. I re-modeled using the sheet metal environment and they bent right first time.

However, in your case I have no idea how an extruded profile can be bent up in the sheet metal environment.

Message 5 of 6
mrattray

There's nothing wrong with what your doing, but another method would be to create an iPart. This would have a column for the suppression state of the bend feature. Then you would have a member before bend and a member after bend. Either way is fine, really.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 6
Cadmanto

I personally think that doing a derived part in this case is not the way to go.  I use derived parts for operations like castings/moldings to machining operations.

In this case like Mike suggested I would do an ipart.

What is your reason for wanting a derived part?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report