Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bending a curved part

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
albmopar
525 Views, 6 Replies

Bending a curved part

I am trying to bend a convex part, but can't seem to make it work.  Any help would be great

Inventor Pro 2014, SP1

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TrentMayberry3
in reply to: albmopar

Hi, before I start out I'd like to say that I am extremely new to Inventor, so there's probably not a whole lot I can help you with, but I'm looking at the part and I'm just wondering which piece on it you are looking to bend.

Message 3 of 7
albmopar
in reply to: TrentMayberry3

The three tabs are curved and need to be bent down.  I made them solid lofts, cause I could figure out how to make them sheet metal lofts.  These tabs need to bent down, as shown in the drawing.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

I would not use Fold.

I would not use Bend.

I would model in the finished form.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Hi albmopar,

Attached is a real quick example file that should give you some ideas about how you might approach this. Note that I made no attempt to follow the dimensions and inputs, and only roughly followed the shape of the part. So look to this example as a tip towards the general methods and tools to use and not as a step by step of how you should proceed.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 7

I can get the basic shape like you have Curtis, my issue is if you notice, the taps are curved (concave).  I can't figure out how to bend (fold) them over to get the shape.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

If I understand the geometry - Inventor will not generate a Flat Pattern for this design.

Do you only need the finished part - or do you also need the Flat Pattern?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report