Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bend part of a normal part (not sheet metal)

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
DRoam
1393 Views, 13 Replies

Bend part of a normal part (not sheet metal)

I have a structrual rectangular tube as shown in the picture below. I need to fold the four flanges inward to create a sort  of point or pyramid. Can this be done?

Tube.jpg

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
DRoam
in reply to: DRoam

I'm attaching the part I'm working with in case anyone wants to demonstrate. I've been experimenting with the "Bend Part" tool but can't get it to work quite right.

Message 3 of 14
JDMather

How will Extrusion3 be cut out on the shop floor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
DRoam
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't know, this is how my boss wants it done. That's one thing I plan on asking him when I get the chance. If you can recommend a better way to even get to the point I'm at I'm all ears.

Message 5 of 14
JDMather

I was trying to decide whether to model in finished (bent) form or to bend or fold.
But as I looked at the geometry I didn't see an inexpensive way to cut that.  From what I could see it would take a wire EDM or 4(or more) axis LASER.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
JDMather

Based on a quick trial I would almost certainly model with the sheet metal tools (just leave out the Rip feature) to desired finished form and then work backwards (Project Flat Pattern in sketch) to get the unfolded (just of these features) form.  My quick trial convinced me of how not to do the part.Folds.PNG

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
JDMather

My suggestion would be to do a hand sketch (or 2D AutoCAD) of the top and side view (as finished) with desired dimensions and attach that here.

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
DRoam

Ok, thanks a lot for your help. I'll get with my boss and post back once I have a better idea of what the end result should be.

Message 9 of 14
graemev

Yes, though it may not be exactly as you'd planned.  It is a reasonable approximation of what will happen on the shop floor.

I'm not game to model in the welds along the corners.  Others far more experienced than I can help there.

Message 10 of 14
graemev

@Anonymous wrote:

I was trying to decide whether to model in finished (bent) form or to bend or fold.
But as I looked at the geometry I didn't see an inexpensive way to cut that.  From what I could see it would take a wire EDM or 4(or more) axis LASER.

Actually, it's not that far off from what it would look like after a gas-axe.

Message 11 of 14
DRoam
in reply to: graemev

@Dr. Mather, it seems the plan is to torch cut the material to be removed. Does this sound reasonable?

@Graemev, thanks so much! I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I really can't seem to get a handle on the bend tool. I modified the part slightly so there's not a gap at the edges of the longer flange (see picture below), but now I can't get the bends to work again. Do you think you could take a look at it for me? Please see modified part attached.

Tube 1.jpg vs. Tube 2.jpg

Message 12 of 14
graemev

Tweak the depth of cut (d51), cut width (d53), bend radius (d64) and bend angle (d65) to suit.  Note the cut squaring out the inner radius of the tube so as to permit bending from the root of the cut.

Message 13 of 14
DRoam
in reply to: graemev

Ah, I think I see what you mean. I think I'm getting a better handle on the bend tool. Your modifications to the part brought to look like just what I need. Thanks for all your help!

Message 14 of 14
graemev

For any additional help, just ask.  That's what we are all here for - both giving and receiving.  Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report