Inventor General Discussion

3 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 6
Accepted Solution

Beam/colmn Calculotor: Changing the angle of a distributed load

523 Views, 5 Replies
08-20-2012 09:38 AM

I am using beam/column calculator in the frame generator in inventor 2010 suite.

I have a beam being used for a flight of stairs it is positioned 40 deg above the 'floor' or my xy plane in my assembly.

I want to place a distributed load acting as if there were several people stading on the stairs at one time so in the direction of the z axis of my assembly.

The problem I am having is I try to change the angle of the distributed load but it only allows me to change the x and y components of the load. You can see this in the screenshots i took.  

Is there a way I can:

a) change the angle of the laod in the Z directions

or

b) change the cordinates in beam itself so the x axis is along the length of the beam instead of the z axis.

I have tried adding a UCS to the beam part but it still wants to choose the length of the beam as the z axis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

I'm not sure what all of the options are in the beam calculator, but you could do this by splitting your load into a Y component and an axial load component (Z component).  So in effect, you will have two loads applied.  One for the vertical Y component of the total load, and an axial load for the Z component.  Does that make sense?

*Expert Elite*
1,097 Posts
267 Kudos
Post 2 of 6

Re: Beam/colmn Calculotor: Changing the angle of a distributed load

08-20-2012 01:52 PM in reply to: vogelzmr

I'm not sure what all of the options are in the beam calculator, but you could do this by splitting your load into a Y component and an axial load component (Z component).  So in effect, you will have two loads applied.  One for the vertical Y component of the total load, and an axial load for the Z component.  Does that make sense?

*Expert Elite*
4,604 Posts
770 Kudos
Post 3 of 6

08-20-2012 02:09 PM in reply to: vogelzmr

Select/Check the Vector box in the Load dialogue box. You can then enter in your load vectors, or create a work axis and use it for load direction. I believe you can even use a Work-Axis to define the load direction (still need to "Check") the vector box.

Sorry, I was thinking of either analysis in model or frame-gen.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1-ud2 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-980 Classified - 347.09
SpacePilot Pro 10.2.0 / 17.2.0.11011 / 4.17
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
3 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 4 of 6

08-21-2012 10:06 AM in reply to: blair

There is no vector box to 'check' i think that is a feature of the stress analysis found in the 2010 pro version, which i unfortunately do not have. I am using the beam/column calculator found in the frame generator feature of the 2010 suite version.

3 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 5 of 6

08-21-2012 10:08 AM in reply to: cwhetten

This will work, i just was hoping to avoid breaking up my applied load into axial and shearing loads, i know that is lazy of me, thanks for the help!

Matt

*Expert Elite*
546 Posts
106 Kudos
Post 6 of 6

08-21-2012 01:31 PM in reply to: vogelzmr

Good information, thanks for sharing.

Jonathan D. Kriek
Manufacturing Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post