Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BC

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jasonraul
784 Views, 9 Replies

BC

I have made 2 parts and created a basic assembly.I for the first time attempted to use the B.C feature.When making the thread in the base part i used the hole feature.I used the BC and found that the bolt goes all the way through the base.Also the bolt size is different to the base thread size.

1. How do i use the BC so as the bolt does not go all the way through the base part?

2. How do i match the bolt diameter to the base thread size/diameter.The Base hole features hole size is 10.106mm and the BC bolt diameter is 10mm

Best Regards

Jason,

Autodesk Inventor 2013

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: jasonraul

I am confused here - your thread specification in the hole is an M12 and your clearance hole is 11mm.

Where does the bolt diameter 10mm come into the design?  (Shouldn't it be an M12 bolt for an M12 tapped hole?)

Clearance Hole.PNG

Threaded Hole.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

@jasonraul wrote:

The Base hole features hole size is 10.106mm and the BC bolt diameter is 10mm

Can you post screen shot of this measurement?  (are you sure it wasn't the 11.106 tap drill size  (7/16" drill) for an M12 threaded hole?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 10
jasonraul
in reply to: JDMather

Yes i used the M12 in the base part but how do i get the bolt from the BC to match the M12 in the base part...the M12 thread size hole in the base part is 10.106mm....how do i select the correct size bolt from the BC to match the M12....i could only select 10mm,11mm,12mm and so on?

The clearance hole at 11mm is larger then the M12 size thread in the base which is 10.106mm.....this is first attempt so please explain where i am getting this wrong

Jason

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

@jasonraul wrote:

.. which is 10.106mm.....this is first attempt so please explain where i am getting this wrong

Jason

No, it is 11.106mm or 7/16"  (Measure it again).

Apparently you have never drilled and tapped a threaded hole out on the shop floor.

The hole must be drilled smaller than the fastener to allow material for the thread to be cut.

For example if you had a 12mm hole for a 12mm fastener the fastener would just fall into the hole - no material for the mating threads to engage.

If you had used the Clearance hole option in the Hole Feature on the Top part and specified an M12 fastener - Inventor would automatically create the correct size clearance hole.

If you use the Bolted Connection generator and select the threaded M12 hole - Inventor automatically selects the correct M12 size fastener (you select the head type).  You can drag the length after creation if desired.

Better yet - use the bolted connection generator to create your Holes and your Fasteners for you at the assembly level (this is one time when creating features at the assembly level is pushed down to the part level for you.

All of this is Design 101 regarding the classical chapter on Thread and Fasteners.

(Questions like this come up so often here that I bookmarked this thread for class discussion next week.  Usually it comes up here in the context that someone used the Thread feature after creating the wrong size hole rather than use the Hole feature.)

Message 6 of 10
jasonraul

Thanks

How did you measure to get 11.106mm...can you post a shot please

Also the bolt went straight through the part.How do you get the bolt to stop at the hole depth...my 4 holes do not go all the way through the apart

Thanks

Jason

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

If you the holes in the correct order the correct way this should not be a problem - Inventor automatically select the correct length.

You should be able to edit after the fact to drag to desired length (Inventor will automatically stop at interval lengths that can actually be purchased off-the-shelf).

Did you notice how many times I wrote "automatically" in these responses.  All of this is set up for you in Inventor to follow the standards for threads and fasteners.

Message 8 of 10
jasonraul

Thanks again

So you would recommend doing the use the bolted connection generator to create your Holes and your Fasteners for you at the assembly level for parts such as flanges,pump housings to pump adaptors etc..etc..so basically create the parts without the holes and then in the assembly use the BC to basically do the holes + bolts/washers/nuts....is there anytiime in an assembly you would not do it this way?

Much appreciated for all your help.Been valuable

Jason

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

@jasonraul wrote:

...so basically create the parts without the holes and then in the assembly use the BC to basically do the holes + bolts/washers/nuts....is there anytiime in an assembly you would not do it this way?

Jason

Yes.  Inventor will push the hole features to the part level.

No, this is not the way I normally do it perhaps because I am intimately familiar with threads and fasteners from 8yrs out on the shop floor - so I tend to mimic my shop floor workflow in Inventor.  I add them to my parts as I go and then add the fasteners in assembly.

Not sure if one way is better than the other or not as I don't have much experience using the BC to create my holes.  It might be a better way for someone with less experience to make sure clearance holes, threaded holes and fasteners all match up.

Message 10 of 10
jasonraul

Thanks a lot.Sure helped me and i do appreciate

Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report