Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch IDW to DWG conversion

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
karthur1
7766 Views, 3 Replies

Batch IDW to DWG conversion

I have about 500+ idws that has to be converted to dwg.  No problem I thought... just use the task scheduler and create a task (Convert IDW to DWG) to do it.

That works.... but there is a small problem.  The DWG that it saves has the data in paper space.  Of coarse, the customer requires it to be in Model Space.

Is there a way to do this with the Task Scheduler?  or someother way, short of manually opening/saving each idw.

I don't own KwikBatch Runx64 and was hoping we could do this without purchasing something else.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rhasell
in reply to: karthur1

Hi

Yes there is.

Export one file from inventor, setup your export configuration, and save it. This is trial and error to get the best configuration for your company.

Tip: Edit the Standard.dwg template for any additional feautures, eg: Switching off layers etc.

When you go to task scheduler, select the configuration file you created in the above step.

Use a file manager to bulk re-name all the files from *.idw.dwg to *.dwg. (Total Commander works well.)

Screen dumps:

Export from Inventor, I have already pre-selected my config file.

export-1.JPG

The following config will export to model space:

export-2.JPG

The task manager, using the Export config file:

export-4.JPG

Hope this is of some use to you.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: rhasell

One interesting point that I didnt realize..... To convert the IDW to DWG, do NOT use the "convert IDW to DWG" task.  Instead you have to use the "Export Files" task.

Doesnt make much sense "why", but this workflow works.... guess that is what matters.

Thanks Reg,

Kirk

Message 4 of 4
rdyson
in reply to: karthur1

Probably because "convert" convers idw to Inventor dwg whereas "export" converts idw to Autodcad dwg.

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums