Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Export to DWG, Solids & Drawings

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jeanchile
1067 Views, 3 Replies

Batch Export to DWG, Solids & Drawings

Okay so I've done a search on these topics and come up with several posts that don't really address what I need and the ones that are close are 6 years old so here goes....

I have a client who is requesting that I send them ".dwg" files of a particular project. They are asking for both  3D solids AND 2D drawing files.

1.) I can export the assembly files to a 3D DWG easy enough but how do I do it for 83 files using task scheduler or something; I cannot figure it out?

2.) We have used ".dwg" as our native drawing format because we have people here who have a need to open our IV drawings using AutoCAD. Can I just send my client these files, without the supporting part files, and have them open them?

3.) If I just send them a copy of our native ".dwg" files are they going to be able to re-use that geometry somehow? There isn't a real IP concern as these are just pipe supports and platforms made from available steel shapes but I certainly wouldn't want them to be able to take our work and re-use it on a different project without us. If they have to do some crazy stuff like explode and scale and re-dimension these things in order for them to be re-usable on a different project, I would at least prefer that to them just being able to reuse them easily as they please. I guess what I'm saying is that if they are going to re-use this content, I am not going to make it easy for them that's for sure!

Thanks for the help.

Inventor Professional
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hoser_71
in reply to: jeanchile

1) In Inventor 2012 they added the ability to do a Save Copy As to a 3D AutoCAD solid.  In Inventor 2012 you can use the Task Scheduler to run an Export task to an AutoCAD 3D solid.

I see that you're running Inventor 2011 which uses the AEC Exchange to export to 3D DWG.  You may want to use the Task Scheduler to export to STEP and import those into AutoCAD. 

If this is something that you have to do quite a bit I would look into writing an add-in or iLogic rule to export everything in an assembly or in a folder to DWG.  We set up a simple form that lets us export to DWG, PDF, DWF, STEP, modify a rev block, and print for all of the files in a folder.  We figure it saved us 20 hours per release not having to do that manually.  You can start by looking at the Samples code in the Help -> Community Resources -> Programming Help.  They have sample code to export to a variety of formats. 

2)  You can send them the Inventor DWG files without the part and assembly files.

3)  The views from the Inventor DWG will appear as locked block references in AutoCAD.  They will be able to measure and add dimensions to the geometry, but not able to initially modify the geometry.  All of the drawing views will also get defined as blocks in the drawing.  If they want to use the geometry and change it they would have to insert the view as a block and then change it.  It isn't initially easy to change, so you'll have a buffer of sorts.

Joe Bartels

Message 3 of 4
guyh
in reply to: hoser_71

Use iLogic?

Cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Message 4 of 4
jeanchile
in reply to: guyh

@Anonymous wrote:

Use iLogic?

Unfortunately no, not yet. It was something I was hoping to get some training for at AU this year but given my current work-load I don't think I am going to be able to go. I'll find some time for it in the future though. It looks like too valuable a tool to be leaving in the toolbox.

I'm only doing this on the one project right now and I doubt I'll be asked to do this often. Plus, when I do it likely won't be for as many files.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I'll figure something out from here.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report