Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base Quantity of a Part

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Snivek
2314 Views, 16 Replies

Base Quantity of a Part

I came across a posting that talked about changing a parts Base Quantity to m^2 and the answer dealt with sheet metal. We purchase fiberglass sheets by the ft^2. How can I get my ft^2 parameter to show up in the list when changing the base quantity in the document settings>bill of material tab. I know you can change it manually in the parts list but I don't want to have to do that. I want to insert it into an assembly and be done. The bill of materials and parts list should have ft^2 as the quantity along with others parts that may be each, lbmass or whatever other unit.

FYI: I created a parameter called Total Material which multiples the entered width(ft) by the entered length(ft) when a sheet is inserted.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Snivek

Did you ever figure it out?

Message 3 of 17
msklein
in reply to: Anonymous

Answer all depends on which version of IV you are using. Starting in 2010 you can put formulas in your custom properties.

msk

Message 4 of 17
Snivek

Creating a custom property would mean I have to add another column to my parts list to display the square footage. I want the square footage to show up in the quantity column like parts with lbmass, each, inch, etc... Ft^2 is a unit of measure and should be visible in the bill of materials base quantity and base unit selection. I love Inventor and it's capabilites but this is something simple that is frustrating. I guess I will continue calculating the old fashion way since I have to manually enter it into our vault program anyway. I just hope they recognize that all units of measure are needed and should be available in the base units before I get the company I work for to make the full transition to Inventor.

Message 5 of 17
msklein

Not necessarily so. YOU still haven't told us what version of IV you are using!!!!!!

Reread my last post!!!!!

MSK

Message 6 of 17
Snivek

IV 2010. I look forward to seeing your answer.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: msklein

@msklein wrote:

Starting in 2010 you can put formulas in your custom properties.

AFAIK, you can put experssions in custom properties, but you can't calculate forumulas.

experssion: <Width> x <Height>

result: 2 in x 5 in

formula: Width * Height

result: 10 in^2

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I think you'll need to create a custom parameter that multiplies the 2 dimensions and then use the Substitution option in the Parts List to swap the custom parameter for the QTY when it is present.

Set up the Parameter in your IPT template and the parts list substitution in the IDW template and then you should be good to go.

Message 9 of 17
Snivek

Thanks BMiller63. That makes more sense to me. I'll give it a shot when I get some free time.

I still think that all units of measure should be available to select from rather than doing a work around.

Message 10 of 17
msklein

Yes, you are right. But you can add the material (callout) as pulled, from the properties tab and add it to a column with it's dim's    (W x L x thk) so why can't you take the area from the properties tab and add it to a column.

MSK

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: msklein

@msklein wrote:

so why can't you take the area from the properties tab and add it to a column.

you can but it would require another column in the Parts list. I think the Goal is to have a Parts list with one QTY column, where parts with Length qtys (steel tube, etc) list by length and sheet metal parts list by area.

But in looking at the substitution option I suggested, I don't think that's the solution I thought it was.

I think the goal is something like this:

Item QTYPart#Descr
112 in.777Steel Tube
26 in^2888Sheet Metal
Message 12 of 17
Snivek

BMiller, You are correct. That is the goal. I think your answer might work. I have not had a chance to try it but I glanced at my parts list to see what you were talking about. I think it could work. I will try it tonight and post the results.

Message 13 of 17
msklein

How about a new column called Description and have the real Description field and the area field feed into it. Sounds like this would give the required results if it works.

msk

never mind

Message 14 of 17
Snivek

BMiller63, I think your suggestion is going to work. I created a parameter called area for a fiberglass sheet. I then opened my standard.idw and used the substitution to replace the qty with the area property when it exists. I then tested it by placing 12 x 24 sheet into an assembly and created an .idw. Although it does not show the units, it does display the proper sqft of fiberglass sheet. I think I will create a property called UOM and add a column the will show the units. This is the way I initially wanted to do it anyway.

Thank for your help BMiller63 and MSK.

Message 15 of 17
Snivek

I am back to this issue only now I am using IV 2012. The company is finally looking to integrate IV with Vault Management software which means that some of my work arounds will become an issue. Everything looks great in my parts list but if I open my Bill of Materials, my work around column called "TOTAL_MATL" only gives the total material for 1 piece and not the sum of multiple pieces. For example, if I have 2 pieces of steel bar that weight 2.00 lbs each, I get a return of 2.00 lbs. I need it to return the 2.00 lbs X 2 pieces or 4.00 lbs. The standard QTY column does this. Does anyone know how I can make my custom "TOTAL_MATL" column do this?

Thanks

Message 16 of 17
Snivek

I forgot to mention before someone says something, that steel bar isn't the real issue because I know the quantity column can be used instead of my custom column. But I had to add this for materials that have units of ft^2 or other units that Inventor does not let you select when setting your Base Quantity and Base Unit.

Message 17 of 17
Maxim-CADman77

Pity to mention, but Autodesk seems heading wrong way regarding Base Unit in Inventor. Instead of improving things they are doing it worse. What was possible in initial Inv2012 was restricted after some updating - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Base-Units/m-p/4379365#M480595

BTW,have you voted for the idea - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Area-units-in-Base-Quantity/idc-p/5122542#M5273 ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report