Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballooned Items Only, Parts List

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
cparnell
1373 Views, 15 Replies

Ballooned Items Only, Parts List

I have a need to use the "Ballooned Items Only" option of the Parts List filter, however I have noticed that this may not be per view or sheet. I have tried to place a Parts List using the Ballooned Items Only" filter, however if balloons exist on other sheets then they show up on the sheet that I am working on.
Is there a way to have "Ballooned Items Only" per sheet?

Thanks for any help.
Have a good day.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
tjb1
in reply to: cparnell

4 years later and this still is an issue...come on.

Message 3 of 16
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: tjb1

Hi tjb1,

I would suggest going to this link and reading through all of the balloon related improvment requests and then adding kudos to show your support:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?page=1&location=idea-board%3Av1232&q=bal...

There might already be an IdeaStation idea for this Ballooned Items Only, Parts List issue, but if you don't see one, I would encourage you to create one.

Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 16
tjb1
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

There are issues on that page over a year old and I do not see the company I work for upgrading any time soon.  Judging by your answer, I would guess there is still not a solution to this.

I can create a new view representation of the assembly but I can not change ANYTHING in the Parts List or it updates the list on the other sheet.  If I override the quantity, it's updated on every sheet.  Change the item number? Updated on every sheet...  Override the balloon number? Doesn't update the Parts List.

Message 5 of 16

9 years and stil a problem?

Message 6 of 16

I don't know if this is an actual problem.

It's creating a BOM based on ballooned and there isn't an option to make it sheet or view only related.

Put it on the idea's station:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/idb-p/v1232

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 16

Hi Davey,

Do you mind elaborating the requirement here? I am not exactly sure your request is the same as the old thread. Could you start a new thread or provide a bit more information?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 16

12 years and still a problem?!

Message 9 of 16
MBPedersen_DK
in reply to: gregoryvdd

Yep.. still a problem.. There have been several people asking for solutions to this over the years.
But we still can't get part lists, there only shows parts, there are balloned on that specific sheet or view.

At least not as far as I have been able to figure out, and I have spent much of the day today trying to find solution or a way around that problem, but the only working solution I have been able to find, is going through the part lists one by one and remove visibility for the parts not ballooned at each sheet.. super annoying and VERY time consuming.

If not having parts there are shared between the sheets than a work around, could be to demote the parts there are going on the different sheets into different phantom subasemblies, but my problem with that is, that I do have a "Mounting and Fasteners"-assembly that it all is mounted on, and I need to have that assembly on all the sheets, but without is showing its parts on the part lists, so I can not use that solution in the project I am woking on..

Message 10 of 16

Hi! This could be a bug or a limitation. Did you edit the PartsList and apply the filter -> check "Balloon Items Only"? If it still does not work, something could be wrong with the drawing or the assembly. Please share the files in zip here or send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 16

Thank you johnsonshiue for looking into this and wanting to help,
You are right, it is easier with an example, I have made a very much simplified assembly to illustrate the issue better.

I have made Representations to each of the sheets and set filter so "Ballooned Items Only" and "View Representation" at sheet 2, 3 and 4.
The problem is, that it shows the parts from the bracket in the pipe part lists, because they are ballooned at an other sheets. 
and I need to have the bracket shown, in the pipe part list, so they can see how the pipes are mounted (as said already, this is a very much simplified assembly, here it is easy enough, but in the real assembly it is much more complicated).

At sheet 1, I have a overview:

MBPedersen_DK_2-1686129907253.png

At sheet 2, I have the bracket with Part List of the parts used in the bracket:
(this one is fine).

MBPedersen_DK_4-1686132983702.png

At sheet 3, I have the bracket and Pipe 1
(I have only balloons at the pipe and coupler, and I have set filter to "Ballooned only", but the bracket is also shown at the part list, even though I doesn't have balloons on it at this sheet).

MBPedersen_DK_5-1686133695657.png

And the same goes for sheet  4, where I have the Bracket and Pipe 2:

MBPedersen_DK_6-1686133752111.png

Making this explanation have made me think of a better workaround, that I think than my previous one.
I and others who might have the same issue, can make extra Representations for each of the pipe-section, so that we have one with pipe and bracket for the 2D views, and Representations for each of the pipe-section only for the part lists.
I have just tested this idea, and it works for what I need, but it is extra work to make all those extra Representations, so it would be nice, if it were possible to do so that the part list only shows parts ballooned at the selected sheet, and not other things because they are ballooned at other sheets.

I hope this explanation clarifies the issue well enough.

Message 12 of 16

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the files! I think I know the issue now. This is about limiting "Ballooned Items Only" option to the sheet, not to the entire drawing. At the moment, the option does apply to the entire drawing, not just the sheet. It is because the PartsList and the Balloons are associated with model source, not a given view.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 16
jtylerbc
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue, that's correct.  The "Ballooned Items" filter applies to the entire drawing, which can be a big problem depending on how you structure your drawings.

The way this works currently doesn't hurt my company because we (mostly) don't use multi-sheet drawings.  Each "page" would be considered a separate drawing with its own number and revision in our system.  That means we accidentally avoided this issue because all of those "sheets" are actually separate drawing files for us, and had been treated that way (for other reasons) long before we started using the parts list filters.

However, if you took the same drawings that I have made as sets of separate drawing files, and instead created them as combined multi-sheet drawings, this would be a huge pain for us.

Typically the case where we use the filter is on a complex assembly where it is difficult to show everything all at once and understand what you're looking at.  This may be a physically large assembly, but it could also be something not all that big, but very crowded.  A common case is on our hydraulic equipment, where it may be hard to visually distinguish the routing of individual hoses if they are all visible at the same time.

1. First drawing contains overall views of the assembly, and the primary parts list.  
  2. Subsequent drawings detail specific portions of the assembly, breaking it down by some theme.  That may be phases of construction, physical areas within the model, disciplines (structural, hydraulic, electrical, etc.).
  3. These subsequent pages are where the "Ballooned Items" filter is used, on a secondary parts list.  This parts list is for reference (so you don't have to keep referring back to the first page), and leaves off quantities to make sure it never confuses anyone about order quantities for parts.

We have sometimes used the View Representation filter instead, but that is much more error-prone, because of the need to make sure the correct components are showing in each representation to make the parts list(s) come out right.  The Ballooned filter makes this much easier, and I can totally see why it would be annoying to multi-sheet users that it doesn't quite work right in that scenario.

Message 14 of 16
tonythm

Hello @cparnell 

I think, you try keep using Ballooned Items Only and Item Number Range in filter. Then you manually hide the rows containing the items that don't need to be displayed again.
This is the temporary way that works that I have done.

Message 15 of 16
MBPedersen_DK
in reply to: tonythm

Thank you for your suggestion levanthong.eng

I have tried that option, as one of my first attempts to do this. but it takes a long time, when having a assembly with about 100 different parts, and there are big risk of making errors along the way, plus if there at some point of time are added or removed something from the assembly, the numbers change and suddenly something wrong is shown or hidden... so that way of solving the issue did unfortunately lead to a lot of extra work and wasted time for me, as I had to redo it all.

Message 16 of 16
tk2B84A

Hi,

Just want to say that I  Really would like this aprovment as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report