Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balloon wires according to Part List/ BOM

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
buer622
1481 Views, 10 Replies

Balloon wires according to Part List/ BOM

I am having trouble ballooning wires that link to the part list. In the drawing, the harness is considered as a part, so when I try to balloon, it can not select individual wires, but the entire harness. I already know the method  of changing the custom/virtual like the pic I attached, but this way, it will take so much time to balloon the wires, and I need to know each wire's item number. Can anyone help me to solve this, so I could just simply balloon the wires corresponding to their part numbers. Or, if there is another way of showing wire numbers, so the readers know which wire is which.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
-niels-
in reply to: buer622

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if this works the same for wires but, for tube&pipe i usually switch the bom structure of the run to phantom.
That way the underlying pipes/hoses move up a level in the bom.
Then again, I have no need to show the run... so if you'd need to balloon the harness itself this wouldn't work anyway.

I'm not sure where to change the structure, i don't have access to inventor atm, but it's either at part/assy level through the document properties or through the bom.
Hope this helps.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: -niels-

Is this a nailboard drawing?

Or are you trying to do a detailed drawing inside an upper level assembly drawing?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
buer622
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks for helping me, I didn't fully understand you, what do you mean by phantom the structure of the run. What does this "run" represent? The entire assembly? Under my BOM, everything is set to Normal, including my harness. I am still new with inventor, sorry for not understanding well.
Message 5 of 11
buer622
in reply to: mcgyvr

It is just a standard DWG, I used place view to get the layout and I want to show the wiring connection inside this drawing. But I could not balloon individual wire since it considers the entire harness as a part.
Message 6 of 11
buer622

Please check this attachment also, in my drawing, the balloon only shows the entire harness's part number.

Message 7 of 11
mcgyvr

You can "try" going into the bom for the top level assembly and double clicking on "normal" next to the harness and setting it to phantom..

But I'm not sure if thats going to work.

The harness module leaves a lot to be desired and really wants to force you to using a "nailboard" drawing.. 

I think you just created it with a regular base view and not a nailboard view.. 

I'm not sure if you can accomplish what you want. I've been using the harness module for years but have never really used it to create nailboard drawings as our harness are very simple and I just use the work instructions that go along with it in our EPR system to call out how to build the harness. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 11
buer622

I don't think I will be using Nailboard neither, I want something very visualized so that people from production can easily read my drawing and see clearly which wire is connecting to which pin. btw, what is your method then, in order for people to know which wire connecting to where, since the segment will hide all the wires, and people can't visualize where is the end of each wire.
Message 9 of 11
mcgyvr

@buer622 wrote:
I don't think I will be using Nailboard neither, I want something very visualized so that people from production can easily read my drawing and see clearly which wire is connecting to which pin. btw, what is your method then, in order for people to know which wire connecting to where, since the segment will hide all the wires, and people can't visualize where is the end of each wire.

well..I don't use segments so wires can easily be seen.. and 99% of my wiring is simple point to point and I rarely have to worry about "routing" it around objects,etc..

I "think" Inventor wants you to create a table that defines which wire goes to which pin,etc... But again I've never really say down to figure that all out. (something like this.. not my drawing http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/272282/1/Sample%20Nailboard.png )

I typically only need to provide "worded" instructions like this.

CRIMP WIRES TO J1 CONNECTOR
POS 6=RED 10" W/RING TERMINAL
POS 5=BLACK 11" W/RING TERMINAL
POS 4=RED 7" W/RING TERMINAL
POS 3=BLACK 11" W/RING TERMINAL
POS 2=ORANGE 10" W/QC TERMINAL
POS 1=ORANGE 7" W/QC TERMINAL

But I really do need to sit down/play around in Inventor and see how I'm going to handle more complex harnesses as I can see that coming in the future for us. 

For some stuff I have created iparts to represent wire that are no more than an extruded cylinder (various lengths hence the ipart) and I can drop them into a new assembly file to create a "straightened out" version of our harnesses. So its a bit of extra work but I've just never been happy with the way Inventor wants you to "detail" harnesses. 

Message 10 of 11
-niels-

Sorry for confusing you, even though wires (cable&harness) are also part of the tube&pipe module they are pretty different.
I don't have enough experience with it to really help you, but mcgyvr seems to be able so i hope you get a solution.
Good luck!

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 11 of 11
buer622

Thanks again, I just found out that in BOM list, only the harness is yellow and the rest wires are all transparent, see below attachment, I think that is why I can't balloon individual wires, if this is the reason, do you have any idea how to change it..   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report