Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balancing an auger?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Retselnitram
1828 Views, 3 Replies

Balancing an auger?

Hi

How can you balance a heavy auger?

It can vary from 8ft to 12ft long 24inch diameter 3/8 to 3/4 inch flighting.

No problem doing a static balance but when it is rotating its off balance end to end and shakes the equipment its on.

Not only is it hard to figue out how much weight to add but at what l degrees.

I do know the weight has to go on the ends

It there a way of getting it close with the simulator and if it is how do I go about it?

Or does somebody have an easier way of doing it?

Thanks

Inventor Pro 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ben_neb43
in reply to: Retselnitram

From what I can gather, you want to balance the auger so when it rotates, it won't vibrate?

I would insert a base view of the auger into a drawing with the orientation of the auger as end view (so you get a circle).

Then make the center of gravity visible.

Screen Shot 52.JPG

If the center of gravity is offset from the axis of rotation, then add weight and recheck it. You'll see the center of gravity change and after multiple tries you can eventually get it centered.

a very trivial way, I'm sure someone else has a better way Smiley Indifferent

Ben

Message 3 of 4
Retselnitram
in reply to: ben_neb43

Thanks but that way only finds the static balance. When I do a Center of gravity it shows that it is balanced.

Because of the heavy flighting, when it is running it has a rocking motion, the one end goes up when the other end goes down.

Message 4 of 4
graemev
in reply to: Retselnitram

Machinery's Handbook has a section on dynamic balancing masses located in two or more planes.  I'd suggest following their general equation and plugging in segments of the auger, and the other components, as radially mounted masses at intervals along the shaft - mass at segment (or component) CofG for each.  The solution calls for two counterweights, each on a separate, known plane.  Sounds like it fits your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums