Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated Centerlines in Sheet Metal

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
drguitarum2005
336 Views, 6 Replies

Automated Centerlines in Sheet Metal

Is there a reason a sheet metal "cut" isn't an option for the automated centerlines tool? Am I overlooking something? When I make holes in sheet metal parts, I draw the circle then "cut" it into the sheet metal. For some reason I can't find how to give those automatic centerlines on drawings. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: drguitarum2005

Use Hole Features or Punch features to do your "cuts".

Center Lines.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
drguitarum2005
in reply to: JDMather

I see that I can do that but if you ask me the "cut" feature in sheet metal is tons easier to make a simple circular hole. No need to sort through various options and hole styles that the hole tool has and no need to define a special punch to get a round hole. With the cut tool I just draw my circle in a sketch then hit cut and it's there. Seems silly there's not a button for "sheet metal cut" in the automated centerline tool...

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Cuts are not always circular, but non-circular Punches can be defined by a centerpoint.

Tables do not pick up Cuts, while they do pick up Holes and Punches.

If you have a limited standard holes that you use and you do a lot of this type of work - it might be worth making the Punches.

You might put in a request that circles are recognized as circles and therefore should be auto centermarked.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
drguitarum2005
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you sir. I understand the issue that Autodesk has. Hopefully they can make it a feautre in future releases to where it recognizes a circular cut and can put a center mark. In the mean time I may make some standard punches for the 8-9 bolt hole sizes we typically use...

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@drguitarum2005 wrote:

. In the mean time I may make some standard punches for the 8-9 bolt hole sizes we typically use...

Actually, you only need one Punch.
You can make it such that you can enter the size on placement,

or you can set it the 9 sizes you use and select the proper size from list when placing.

2 minutes to create a Punch.

Now I have it for all future parts.

Punch.png

Place Punch.png

Message 7 of 7
blair

Try placing a "Center-Mark" at the center of your circular hole in the sketch before you extrude/cut your hole shape.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report