Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2015 Student Edition installs, not working

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ajulian1234
1597 Views, 8 Replies

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2015 Student Edition installs, not working

Hello,

Over the past few days I have been attempting to sort out a very frustrating issue with my Inventor Professional 2015 Student Edition install. There are two or three seemingly interconnected issues I have been running into involving opening documents. The first issue is that it seems that I am missing options to open file types that are not Inventor files (such as .iges, .step, etc...). My options look as follows:

Open File Options

Another thing that occurs, is that when I go to I > Open, I can only press the top and bottom most options (Open and Open Samples). If I press Open DWG or Import DWG nothings happens, it just goes back to the home window. The following is the selection area I am referencing:

Open Toolbar Options

The final Issue that I have relating to this, is when I go to import a dwg through the open menu (by going to options and changing open to import) I get the following error message:

Error Message

I have tried doing a full uninstall and reinstall twice now, to no avail. In the most recent install, I did a full wipe of the Autodesk data on my computer and then proceeded to do the "install now" option with both of my virus softwares completely shut off. I have complete administrative access and Inventor runs fine otherwise. Additionally, I have the SP1 update installed. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1 with an intel core i7-2670 Qm @ 2.20 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, and a 750 Gb HDD. I will attach the .dwg file I was attempting to import (it gives the error for all .dwg's I have tried).

Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated, as I love using Inventor. If nothing is actually wrong, that is fine, however I keep reading over and over that the only difference between the student and normal editions is licensing which leaves me to believe that I'm either forgetting to install things or have some strange issues going on.

Best,

~Alex

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: ajulian1234

Use the "All FIles" option "*.*" to open/import Non-Inventor files.

Try unchecking the "Home Page" application in the Application Options and use the "Old Version" interface.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior sounds that either Inventor was not installed properly or the Translator related Add-Ins are not enabled properly. Could you try the followings?

1) Go to All Programs -> Autodesk -> do you see "DWG True View 2015"? If yes, can you launch the program and make sure it is DWG True View 2015.

2) Start up Inventor. Try start a new part file or an assembly file, or a drawing file. Does any of them fail? Go to Tools -> Add-Ins -> Translator -> what is the "Load Behavior" for each translator?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
ajulian1234
in reply to: blair

Blair,

If I use the all files option and I try to open, for instance, a .stp file it gives me the "Failed to open document" error. Additionally, the import functionality for DWGs gives that same error.

Also, I can't seem to find those options in my application options, The only thing I have that references the home page looks as follows:

Application Options

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Message 5 of 9
ajulian1234
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello Johnson,

1) DWG Trueview 2015 is installed and when I launch it, it is Autodesk DWG True View 2015 (STUDENT EDITION)

2) I am able to create parts, assemblies, and drawings just fine. However, when I click on the Tools -> Add-Ins button, nothing happens. This seems to be happening in multiple places where I can click a button and Inventor doesn't do anything.

Best,

~Alex

Message 6 of 9
blair

This is starting to sound like an installation problem. Were you logged in with Administrative Privileges when you installed Inventor? Was the UAC slider set to it's lowest position when Inventor was installed (not suppose to be an issue with IV2015).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 9
ajulian1234
in reply to: blair

During the most recent installation, I had administrative priveledges, I had all malware and firewall programs turned off, but I don't think I had UAC turned down. What I might try is creating a new windows User account and installing it there to see if it makes a difference.

~Alex

Message 8 of 9
ajulian1234

Update:

I just created a new Windows user account and ran Autodesk Inventor for the first time on this account and it appears that the issues I was having with the other account are gone.

My options for opening files looks as follows:

Options New Profile

Additionally, I am able to import DWGs and I am able to open the Add-ins button. So I guess I had a corrupted windows account. Although it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to have an account just for using inventor and such, are there any steps I can take to trying to track down the issue with my main account?

Thanks for all the help thus far,

Alex

Message 9 of 9
blair

Attached are instructions to repair a User Account.

Not really, just normal system house-keeping seems to reduce the problem.

1.) Defrag your hard-drive on a regular basis.

2.) Run a utility such as CCleaner.com to clean all Temp directories and Cache folders. It also has a Registry clean-up tool as well

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report