Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor for Woodworkers - CAD CAM and nesting - What do you use?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
PaulMunford
7688 Views, 27 Replies

Autodesk Inventor for Woodworkers - CAD CAM and nesting - What do you use?

I've moved this conversation from Twitter to give us all a chance to reply in more than 140 Characters!

If you use Inventor in the wood working trades, how do you output to CAM? Do you use a 2D or 3D CAM package? do you use a standalone package or an integrated CAM soloution. Do you have any recommendations or warnings?

Let it all out!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Stevew
in reply to: scottmoyse

I have worked with many products , my first focus is the utilization of Inventor / Autocad as the core design as well as prototyping tool for all woodworking .

My experience is with several of the cnc products as well as other modeling tools ,  most of us are aware of .

I believe each of us must due our due dillangence in picking the correct software tool for our particular needs .

I have not seen much on Router-Cim and wanted to be sure that all are aware of the following

Anyway, here are some key points:

1)      Router-CIM has been a registered Autodesk developer for over 25 years

2)      We can go from the inventor assembly to nested toolpaths in the least number of clicks.

3)      Router-CIM’s advanced nesting includes 2 sided nesting, staydown, and commonline nesting as well as open cart control, multiple stock size, and irregular stock nesting.

4)      Router-CIM’s stay down nest makes an overlap that is absolutely critical for edge quality

5)      Router-CIM includes a parametric macro builder that can emulate inventor’s parametric functionality without having to draw a model.

6)      Router-CIM imports a cut list from Excel and can include dwg, dxf, and macros in the list.

7)      Router-CIM includes full reporting and labeling

😎      Router-CIM makes more efficient nc code utilizing things features like fast drill for fanuc controls and multiple sorting algorithms that make the shortest path between cuts.

9)      Router-CIM has built in scrap management that can make the scrap cut and use the scrap in the next nest.

10)   Router-CIM has filler parts and full grain control as well as pre nesting part manipulation like mirror and rotate.

11)   Router-CIM not only makes the nested program, it also makes the individual part program and that is useful for off fall or damaged parts. You’ll have the program to run the part by itself already made.

12)   Router-CIM has small part handling and features multiple tab styles including ramped tabs and tab at cut start that is a better solution than onion skin.

Message 22 of 28
scottmoyse
in reply to: Stevew

Sounds pretty cool, any idea of cost? Do you know if there are existing posts for SCM routers? Maybe even the Record 125? Then I suppose is it available and supported in NZ.

You may not be able to answer those questions, but based on your comments I will get in touch with them and see what they can do for us regarding a demo.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 23 of 28
rogerhaley
in reply to: PaulMunford

Guys: I'm following with keen interest, but since the conversation is specific to CNC woodworking, I don't have much more to add. I can say with certainty, however, that while MTC software (ProNEST) does accept native Inventor files, they do not support router processing, whereas SIGMANEST does.

Message 24 of 28
Stevew

Specific information in regard to the posts that are available:  you can contact Cim-Tech direct www.cim-tech.com

Message 25 of 28
cmccrary

Big fan of Microvellum; have seen Topsolid, really love the features I have seen, but still haven't had the opportunity to use it in a real world situation. Came upon this thread looking to find a simplified process but looks like still have to lay down parts, yadda, yadda….

Message 26 of 28
Wooder
in reply to: cmccrary

Does anybody use such software like "Woodwork for Inventor"? It looks like that it has CAM abilities.

Message 27 of 28
mwaldenmeyer
in reply to: PaulMunford

It has been awhile since this thread was really moving, have there been any advances in the last year or 2 that anyone has seen?

We recently purchased a Weeke Optimat machine and the only 2 CAMs that were recommended as having posts were AlphaCam and MasterCam. Alpha seems to be the most highly recommended.

I recently stumbled upon Router-CIM and am interested in their integration with AutoCAD.

We have been using VisualMill and RhinoCam but they do not support aggregate tooling (much less offer a post for the Weeke).

Has anyone used Router-CIM recently?

How about AlphaCam?

We are ready to purchase something and I wanted to get some feedback from the community before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Message 28 of 28
scottmoyse
in reply to: mwaldenmeyer

Based on research from a few years ago I would have gone with masterCAM. I haven't followed its progression since then. 

Credit to AlphaCAM over the last two years they have added a lot of good tech. It could still be better and the support in New Zealand is just awful. We are in a position now where it's doing what we need and are relatively happy with it.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report