Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

***AUTODESK INVENTOR 8 IN XP MODE - PLEASE EHELP***

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Samnutter3212
3759 Views, 17 Replies

***AUTODESK INVENTOR 8 IN XP MODE - PLEASE EHELP***

I have recently bought a new Dell desktop optimax 980 with more than enough specifications to run autodesk inventor 8 on it. I knew that windows 7 has compatability issues with autodesk 8 so I insisted on windows xp mode as well as 7.

I installed it and the onboard graphics driver makes the CAD interface (sketch drawing part) very, very clunky. I only found out windows xp mode is not supported by the graphics card (absolutely ridiculous but that's the way it is) until afterwards - please can someone advise me on what to do as this is a critical problem that needs solving.

Thanks for any responses.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hi

Are you trying to run 'Inventor 8' or 'Inventor 2008' ?

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 3 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: Samnutter3212

The ONLY solution is to upgrade your version of Inventor.. Or downgrade your OS to one the INV 8 is compatible with.

Microsoft has marketed XP mode in a way that people think it works just like you have XP loaded on your system but it doesn't. You've gotta read the fine print as usual.

XP mode is really ONLY for old simple legacy business applications and is not sufficient for Inventor no matter what version of Inventor you have. 

I believe XP mode emulates a "fake" 4Mb graphics card that you cannot change and defaults to 512Mb of RAM (you can change that though).

Upgrade Inventor or Downgrade OS.. The choice is yours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 18
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

I would think that getting an old version of XP and dual-booting your machine would be cheaper than upgrading to IV2011

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:

I would think that getting an old version of XP and dual-booting your machine would be cheaper than upgrading to IV2011

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

Possibly.. Only he can determine that.. Added functionality in newer versions could also decrease his time spent on designs,etc... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 18
blair

I agree, if it was me, I would be looking to upgrade to IV2011. I guess that if they haven't upgraded to a newer version (IV8 was a number of releases ago) it's not high on their list.

But hey, I'm on subscription and my closest reseller is 500 miles away...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 18

Is this Inventor version 8 or Inventor 2008? There is a difference.

If on IV8, You may have a bigger issue... How are you going to get this registered and authorized?

As to the original question, go to Tools >> Application Options >> Hardware and set this to its lowest setting.

Also helps to indicate what graphics card you are running.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 8 of 18

Hello all - I sorted the problem so thought I would let people know what the solution is...

We had to gut the windows 7 and make the entire system windows xp; in hindsight xp mode would have worked but I was advised, wrongly, by 'experts' that this was needed. To answer previous questions we run Autodesk Inventor 8 with a fastCAM gas cutting profiler.

Dell messed up and said that the onboard graphics driver would be enough but it wasn't so we upgraded the graphics to an unproven-with-autodesk ATI card costing around £99. It now works great with a few teething problems (eg. customised drawing sheets as a defualt but i'll writing a post asking for help on that one).

Thanks for all your responses guys - appreciated.

Message 9 of 18
zeekfeet

I'm faced with the same problem as I can't afford to upgrade my INV7 & my old XP Tosh has died. I haven't bought anything yet so Samnutter3212 - given a clean sheet what would you recommend?

Message 10 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: zeekfeet

I think I would search for some old 32-bit machines (get several).

You might have trouble activating a license this old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
blair
in reply to: JDMather

Possibly Ebay might have some older returned on lease workstations, either Dell or HP machines. Not only as JD stated you may have problems getting a new activation number, but I doubt anyone has any of the SP's for that old of Inventor.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 18
zeekfeet

Thanks JD & Blair, I've got the key no., so hopefully I'll be ok on that, but are you saying that even if I can install XP on a 64-bit computer, or dual-boot XP on a Win. 7 machine, it won't run Inv7? Also, what are SP's, do you mean service packs? If so, some-one did send me one, and maybe there's somebody on here that might be able to dig some up once I get up & runng again!

Message 13 of 18
JDMather

@zeekfeet wrote:

Thanks JD & Blair, I've got the key no.,

That doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to activate the license.

The process is

You need Product Code and Serial Number  (2 codes, serial number unique)

Based on these codes YOUR COMPUTER (different for each computer) creates an Activation Request Code.

Autodesk sends back an Activation Code (unique to that serial number and computer).

So you see, there are 4 codes involved in the process of activation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
zeekfeet
in reply to: JDMather

Wonderful, so I definitely need to know if it'll run on a 64-bit proccessor machine because there's no point in wasting even a small amount on an old PC if I could be left with something that doesn't run Inv7 and is too old to run anything more modern...

Message 15 of 18
blair

Inventor 8 is only 32bit software and won't install on a 64 bit machine. With the year and version of software you have you are stuck with XP-32bit.

As JD posted, you have a serial number and key supplied by Autodesk for your software. When you install it, a request code is generated. This is specific to each machine, this code is then sent to Autodesk you then sends you the proper Activation Code.

You software is approximate 9 years and releases old. I would contact Autodesk and see if they still will issue Activation Codes prior to purchasing any hardware.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 18
zeekfeet

Thanks again JD & Blair, I'll try & pick up a 32-bit machine & check it ut with Autodesk.

Message 17 of 18
sam_m

it should work fine on a 64bit pc - just it might need a 32bit version of Windows...

just a clarification that the physical hardware can be 64bit but the operating system will dictate whether it runs at 64 or 32bit (and thus what software can be installed and used).

just thought I'd mention in case "64bit machine" caused confusion and cause the search for old 32bit processors...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 18 of 18
zeekfeet
in reply to: sam_m

Thx Sam, That's v.helpful, I was concerned I'd be stuck with old 32-bit hardware. I've just picked up a boot load of bits (Asus A8N-E motherboard, etc.) via Freegle so will dive in there tonight! I may be back...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report