Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2015 STL Preview Thumbnails aren't displayed

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
furicks
518 Views, 3 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2015 STL Preview Thumbnails aren't displayed

Previously with Autodesk Inventor STL files in Windows Explorer have shown thumbnails / previews for STL files. This is extremely helpful as opening an STL file can be quite time consuming. For some reason I lost this functionality and the STL files just show up as generic Inventor icons. How can I get this back? Reinstalling Inventor doesn't seem to do the trick. 

It appears that the thumbnail generation component needs to be reinstalled but isn't with a typical reinstall of the software. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
furicks
in reply to: furicks

I recently reinstalled windows on my laptop and reinstalled Autodesk Inventor. This has restored the STL Preview functionality for that computer! Has anyone made any progress restoring the STL Preview without reinstalling windows? 

Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: furicks

One key piece of information that is missing: do thumbnails still work for other Inventor files?  For other applications' files?

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 4 of 4
furicks
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you for the reply!

Yes the Autodesk Thumbnails seem to be working for every native Inventor format. IAM and IPT files have images. However there are some IPT files which do not display thumbails correctly. I think these were created by importing a DWG file and might be an exception as all manually created IPT files are displaying the thumnails. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report