Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2013 and Windows 8.1 Desktop Preview

89 REPLIES 89
SOLVED
Message 1 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr
37801 Views, 89 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2013 and Windows 8.1 Desktop Preview

Ok I installed 8.1 and I get an error when trying to open AI Pro '13. I have tried all service packs and still no luck. Rolling back to 8. It seems I have to reinstall 8 OS all together. Asking for media content when I try recovery. Word of advice, wait until Autodesk says it's ok to install 8.1 for all compatibility.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Autodesk Product Design Suite 2014
89 REPLIES 89
Message 21 of 90
DarrenP
in reply to: Cool_Breeze_Jr

2014 has problems with 8.1

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-2014-fails-to-export-to-DWG-on-Win-8-1/m-p/4...

2013 will probably have major issues with it since it wasn't written for windows 8

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 90
blair
in reply to: DarrenP

No, why would we waste time trying to run software on a version of O/S that isn't officially supported by Autodesk for that product.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15402497&linkID=9242018

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 23 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr
in reply to: blair

Dear blair,

It is obvious you do not work for Autodesk and either a millionaire or a thief. The ones who do pay for this software do not have the extra money you have to update the Autodesk software. Some of us in our offices have the opportunity to update our OS but not out Autodesk software. We just want to know if anyone else out there has ran into any issues or tested the stability of Win8.1 and IV2013pro. Your either with us or against us.

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 24 of 90
blair

I read the the published requirements for the software in question and run it on the approved operating system. This is not a hard concept to grasp.

People had the same problems when Win2000 shipped and people tried to install previous versions of Inventor written for NT4. The same thing happened when XP was released and people tried to install previous versions of Inventor written for Win2000. Again with Vista and again with Win7. Don't think that Win8.1 will be any different.

Trying to knock down a brick wall with your head will only give you a headache....

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 25 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr

ITS FREAKING SOFTWARE, FIX IT!

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 26 of 90
dgorsman

Calmness, please.  Getting software to run on a new or updated OS can be very difficult.  Its not a matter of clicking a checkbox that says "Run in Win 8.1".  The software can be dependant on features or tools which are not available in the new system for example.  Simply demanding FIX IT without knowing the exact circumstances won't make it so.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 27 of 90
Cool_Breeze_Jr
in reply to: dgorsman

he started it

Chris Biggs
Engineer/CADD Services
New Horizons RV Corp.
2401 Lacey Drive
Junction City, KS 66441

Dell XPS 8300
16GB RAM
Win 8.1 Pro
Message 28 of 90
blair

I'm sure if someone called you a thief....

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 29 of 90
sam_m

I am honestly confused by how many "I want my old software to work on my new OS" tantrums we seem to be getting at the moment.

Surely if your work/company is using Inventor in any way to earn a living then surely you would check what is/isn't compatible before changing anything?!?

We all research hardware before buying it - trying to get the best bang per buck and checking there aren't known headaches with certain graphics cards, etc.

So, why don't people do the same for the OS?  The OS, along with the chipset drivers, are like the backbone of the system - everything runs through it, so if it's not working well it's going to cause all kinds of issues.  So, surely nobody would change OS without first checking whether ALL the software they rely on for their business/livelyhood is compatible?!?  People would laugh at anyone moaning their new Inventor isn't working on their Windows 3.11 pc, so how is this different?

I could understand all the annoyance if the software was advertised as working on a particular OS and an update to it caused it to stop working, but as of yet (as far as I know) there's been no official statement suggesting anything prior to Iv2014 would work with Win8.

Or, is it wrong of me to keep thinking these issues all remain in the fleshy part of the man/machine interface?

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 30 of 90
dgorsman
in reply to: sam_m

Meatware compatibility check!  😄

Message 31 of 90
ChrisMitchell01

We are issuing dll's that will fix the win8.1 issues for Inventor 2012 & 2013, on a request-only basis at this point. Official hotfixes will be released in the coming weeks.

If you need the fixed dll's then please contact me directly as there are some very specific manual install steps required.

Thanks

Chris

chris.mitchell@autodesk.com

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 32 of 90
dgorsman
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Any way the DLLs and instructions could be posted over in the Labs section until the official hotfixes are ready for general distribution?  This type of "Here, try this out!" is exactly what the Labs is about.

Message 33 of 90
ChrisMitchell01

No, sorry.

Please conatct me directly; for now we need to track who we send these to.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 34 of 90
Anonymous

Is AutoDesk fixed yet for Windows 8.1? I can't seem to get anything to work. Please post the link as a sticky somewhere so we have quick access to it.

Message 35 of 90
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: Anonymous

Official fixes for Inventor 2012 & 2013 will be available this week. If you need them immediately, please email me.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 36 of 90

Hi,

I'm having problems too with CAD 2014. Is the official realease ready or do I have to email you directly?

Message 37 of 90

Hi,

What do you mean by "CAD 2014" ?

Inventor 2014 is fixed by installing SP1

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22322619&linkID=9242019

Then the new dll files still need to be registered with the OS as Administrator - Open a command prompt (just type cmd in the windows “search” section & then Run as administrator. Then type:

Then, after about 1 minute, start Inventor.

If you mean AutoCAD 2014, then I'm not aware of an official fix.  From the posting on NOT WORKING WITH WINDOWS 8.1 someone there mentioned a fix for ACAD2014:

“Found out how to fix it!
Go to Microsoft support and reinstall Visual Studio C++ 2008 and/or 2010.
For some random reason updating gets rid of them, or so thinks AutoCAD.”

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 38 of 90
mcolinp

The Fix worked great for Inventor on 8.1; now for Inventor Fusion . . .

Fusion 2013 will not start on Windows 8.1; seems like a similar issue.

Message 39 of 90
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: mcolinp

I'm not aware of any fix for Fusion 2013 desktop. Is Fusion 360 an option for you ?

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/about

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 40 of 90
mcolinp

It would be nice if I could use the software I already paid for. I was in on the beta for Autodesk Fusion 360; though I am not sure I agree totally with the licensing strategy.

Sent from my iPhone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report