Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk - FEA Functionality Regression

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
JDMather
1172 Views, 9 Replies

Autodesk - FEA Functionality Regression

A couple of years ago I would have my student do a weight reduction exercise by creating cuts of various size and shape in a part in the areas that showed low stress/high safety factor.  With the sketches visible and set to Undeformed we could visually see where to change dimensions between analysis.  This visual representation is much more powerful than setting parameter analysis alone (that has it's place too, and we do use that as well).

But now we cannot see sketches while results are active (must right click and uncheck Active). So we have to toggle between Active/not Active and guess the approximate locations of areas of interest.   I think this behavior regressed in 2010 release.

There often cases where the human eye and intellegence can reach a solution much faster than the computer tool by itself.

I hope I have explained this well as I don't have a screen capture of the older behavior.  If not let me know and I will put together some composite images.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Oh wow, this is truelly maddening.

By accident I just discovered if I toggle between active part files the dimensions suddenly become visible. 

LOL, whatever workaround works.

I'll have to experiment on some other machines and see if it is related to my graphics card or something else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

Well my experiments get even more interesting.

It is not enough to toggle between open files. 

After running a new analysis toggling to an open file doesn't do the trick.  I have to start a new file and then go back to the analysis part file.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
henderh

Hi JD,

You are correct.  We changed the behavior in R2010 such that when results are in view, we turn off the visibility of sketches, workfeatures, etc. automatically so that it won't obscure the view.

Also note that we cannot access the model browser while in the SA enviornment to turn the visibility back on.

Would you like me to log a wish list on either of these two items?  Perhaps we can make a setting where you can toggle the visiblilty behavior on or off.

Thanks and Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 5 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: henderh

@henderh wrote:

Would you like me to log a wish list on either of these two items?  Perhaps we can make a setting where you can toggle the visiblilty behavior on or off.

Thanks and Best regards, -Hugh

Yes, seems to me like it would be an obvious enhancement if you follow the logic of my lab experiment that we do to optimize a part.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
henderh

Hi JD,

It is logged in our tracking system as 1343967 "Do not turn off visibility of sketch dimensions with results view".

Any comment on re-exposing the model browser?

Hugh Henderson
Message 7 of 10
JDMather

New semester - my old trick doesn't work in 2013.

We need to be able to visually see the analysis results and a visible sketch to make intellegent edits.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
henderh

Hi JD,

The 2D Sketch Visibility can be toggled on while in results view in R2013 (image attached)

View tab => Object Visibility pull-down => 2D Sketches checkbox

I hope this is satisfactory.  Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 9 of 10
JDMather

I'm surprised that none of my students found that solution this moring - I even offered bonus points if someone could find a solution.

I guess you get the bonus Smiley LOL

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

Well in my initial (quick) test that solution doesn't work out well.

You can change a dimension, but as soon as you except the change you lose the analysis view and have to re-activate it and the sketch visibility.  If you are only making one change at a time and re-running the anlaysis this OK, but if you are making several dimension changes..... ... like x and y position of a hole in addition to diameter....

We are also using this technique in conjunction with the Parametric Table, but we can visually see areas of easy change when looking at the analysis that as far as I know - Inventor still has no way of recognizing, and even if it did the designer would still have to make the decision based on Design for Manufacturability and other concerns exactly how and what to change.

We really need to see a persistant sketch and the analysis Shading.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report