Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

speterson
Message 1 of 2 (263 Views)

Autodesk and 3D Printing

263 Views, 1 Replies
09-24-2013 09:35 AM

Hello,

My school has won a grant to purchase a 3D printer but we must do some research before we can choose which printer to buy. The students use Autodesk Inventor to create 3D solid models.

We have the option to purchase the 3D Systems Cube or Makerbot Replicator 2. Obviously, the company awarding the grant would like us to purchase the cheaper 3D Systems Cube for $1,299.00. Which of these 2 3D printers is better to use with the Autodesk Inventor Software? Which printer requires less prepping of the files?

Thank you,

Sean

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 2 (253 Views)

Re: Autodesk and 3D Printing

09-24-2013 09:56 AM in reply to: speterson

There is nothing about using Inventor or any other 3d package for that matter that should influence your 3d printer decision.. They ALL can export to a 3d printer.. (STL or other file type)

Material choices/build resolution/consumable costs/additional equipment, build size,etc... <-- thats a few of the things that matter and should be investigated..

I HIGHLY suggest you simply google "how to choose a 3d printer" and come up with a spreadsheet to compare/contrast,etc...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!