Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD DWG. TITLE BLOCK ATTRIBUTES

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
paul_ambrose
870 Views, 5 Replies

AUTOCAD DWG. TITLE BLOCK ATTRIBUTES

I heard that its possible to use an autocad title block in Inventor 2008 .idw files. I would like to know if the attributes attached to the title block will function correctly if used in the inventor .idw file? If they do, does this eliminate the need to create a .idw title block in Inventor?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: paul_ambrose

You can use AutoCAD title blocks directly in Inventor .dwg files in 2008,
and attribute values are editable in Inventor.

I wouldn't say that it eliminates the need to create an Inventor title block
as there is still some functionality in an Inventor title block that AutoCAD
blocks don't have in Inventor. The AutoCAD block support was added to help
folks who need to supply DWG files with a specific title block (or border,
or some other block) use them directly, without translation.

Chris

wrote in message news:5621212@discussion.autodesk.com...
I heard that its possible to use an autocad title block in Inventor 2008
.idw files. I would like to know if the attributes attached to the title
block will function correctly if used in the inventor .idw file? If they do,
does this eliminate the need to create a .idw title block in Inventor?
Message 3 of 6
R.Corriveau

"use them directly, without translation"

Like me. 🙂
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

You were among the people I was thinking of when I wrote the spec, Rick 🙂
Message 5 of 6
R.Corriveau

Thanks.
Message 6 of 6
saainsworth

We have been experimenting with AutoCAD blocks (as title blocks) in inventor dwgs. It works. However the AutoCAD block does not behave like an inventor title block:

1)We could not get it to locate correctly with a sheet change (could be missing something here).

2)While the attributes in the block are editable in inventor there is no way to link them to the model like an inventor title block.
When you use the AutoCAD block as a title block you loose these big advantages of the inventor title block. We have settled on a compromise.

In AutoCAD a block attribute can be linked to any of the drawing properties. But not to the model.

We created an inventor title block and are using that on the sheets. We set the drawing option to copy model properties to the drawing file in inventor. We then created an AutoCAD block in the template and linked it to the appropriate properties in AutoCAD.

The advantage is that we will have a properly named AutoCAD block with the correct attributes in each drawing. These attributes are filled in correctly with model data.

Disadvantages:
1) The copy properties in inventor is a one time action. If the model properties are changed after view placement. The drawing properties need to be manually updated.
2) When creating a new drawing from a template inventor does not create an AutoCAD model space. Even if the template has one. So we have to open the drawing in AutoCAD and place the block.
3) We tried putting the block with linked attributes on the inventor drawing sheet. Inventor wiped out the linked attributes.

It would be great if Autodesk would create a path to link attributes in blocks back to inventor model properties. It would be better if this could be combined with all the good functionality in the inventor title block.

Scott A

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report