Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching text to a balloon?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
6374 Views, 17 Replies

Attaching text to a balloon?

How do I attach text to a balloon? For example, I want to add the text "2X" alongside the balloon to denote that there are 2 instances of this part.

I can't believe that you need to make a text box each and every time you need to do this! There has to be a simpler way.

Thanks,
Dominic
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Try making a Sketch Symbol

Mike

wrote in message news:5839864@discussion.autodesk.com...
How do I attach text to a balloon? For example, I want to add the text "2X"
alongside the balloon to denote that there are 2 instances of this part.

I can't believe that you need to make a text box each and every time you
need to do this! There has to be a simpler way.

Thanks,
Dominic
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Hi Dominic;
The quantity of parts are shown in a Parts List as you know. If there is a
need to annotate a specific part - I would use a leader. Is there any reason
why you need to put item's quantity next to the balloon?
Igor.

--
To reply please use igor@iinet.net.au address
wrote in message news:5839864@discussion.autodesk.com...
How do I attach text to a balloon? For example, I want to add the text "2X"
alongside the balloon to denote that there are 2 instances of this part.

I can't believe that you need to make a text box each and every time you
need to do this! There has to be a simpler way.

Thanks,
Dominic
Message 4 of 18
Inventor1

There are ways, at least back in IV8 i can do it. Pic 1 showes the second option, circular with 2 entries. The circle on the drawing shows this with Item Number 14 and Qantity of 3. I would put a balloon in your notes explaining this, see pic 2. Alternatively you have Property Field, option 4. Here i have shown the Item Number and the Part Number. You can choose to show any property.

hope this helps

Daniel Message was edited by: Inventor Productions
Message 5 of 18
Inventor1

ok, pics will help!
Message 6 of 18
2grumpy

you can choose balloon type showing number of instances in assembly along part no or item no. explore a bit styles and standard editor.
Message 7 of 18
stephengibson76

Use leaders...

LMB on the quadrant of the balloon.
RMB continue
type your text
if your text is to the left of the balloon put a space after your text or a space before your text if your on the right

your leader text will stay attached to the balloon if you drag your balloon around or allign them etc
Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

To show the word "REF" next to the ballon. I want to denote that this part has been balloned before. On ballons that are associated with parts that have multiple occuances, it is standard practice to add the quantity next to the ballon in order to cut down on the clutter. Otherwise you have muliple occurances of the same ballon all over the drawing.

BTW, both of these are ANSI standard (ANSI Y14.100-2000) practice.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

That sounds like a good work around. Thanks!
Message 10 of 18
ljapsey

I use a sketched symbol or a leader as described later, both work fine...\Thanks, Larry
System Specs:
Dell Optiplex 745
Pentium D, 3.0 Ghz, 2 GB of Ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
Autodesk Inventor Suite 2008, Service Pack 2
Graphics Card - ATI VisionTek Radeon X1300
Graphics Driver - 6.14.0010.6727
SpaceTraveler, Driver Verizon 6.5.6
Thanks, Larry
System Specs:
Dell Optiplex 745
Pentium D, 3.0 Ghz, 4 GB of Ram
Windows XP Pro SP2
Autodesk Inventor Suite 2011
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Graphics Driver - 6.14.11.9745
SpaceTraveler, Driver Verizon 6.7.13
Message 11 of 18
dwing

Thanks Stephen Gibson.  You are going to save us all a lot of time and effort!

Dan Wing

Product Designer

Young&Franklin, Inc.

Specialty Fluid Controls

www.yf.com

Message 12 of 18
jaybear

I place the text on the leader to the balloon.  Pick the leader, right click and select "attach text to leader".  It defaults to the middle of the leader; but, you can slide it closer to the balloon manually.

However, I just tried Stephen Gibson's method, and I will be switching to that!

Message 13 of 18
dwing
in reply to: dwing

jaybear:  Another good suggestion.  I am always amazed at the little things that can be done that never seem to be documented.

Thanks

Dan Wing

Product Designer

Young & Franklin, Inc.

Specialty Fluid Controls

www.yf.com

Message 14 of 18
DRLTKSE
in reply to: dwing

The adding a leader to the quadrant of the balloon is a great solution, thanks. 

Message 15 of 18
asellars
in reply to: stephengibson76

****....everything was going along nicely with this solution from stephengibson. Then I needed to do it on attached balloons (balloon with multiple items attached) - it will only work with the last balloon

Message 16 of 18
dwing
in reply to: asellars

Hi asellers,

I was able to attach text to any balloon. Here is an example. I find that you may need to zoom out far enough to be able to see the green dots when attaching the leader text.

The information contained herein is confidential and/or proprietary and could be subject to U.S. Export laws and / or controlled by the US International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) 22 CFR part 120-130. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom this e-mail has been addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you should delete this document and you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, reproduction or further viewing of this e-mail without permission from the author is strictly prohibited. Young & Franklin Inc. and its subsidiary Tactair Fluid Controls Inc. take no responsibility, either direct or indirect, for any unauthorized dissemination of such data or materials.
Message 17 of 18
dwing
in reply to: asellars

Hi asellers, I was able to attach text to any balloon. Here is an example. I find that you may need to zoom out far enough to be able to see the green dots when attaching the leader text. (Sorry for the duplicate post. I could not figure out how to edit my first post to add the screen capture.) Side note- Does anyone know how to delete a post (or edit one)? I tried to attach a jpg but it won't let me, and now it thinks I am a new member for some reason... 😕 dwing
Message 18 of 18
asellars

Surely there is a way to solve this....balloon with item number in centre & quantity (slightly smaller text height to Item no) positioned outside the balloon at lower right. If I could I'd copy the balloon style -  "circular -2 entries". Modify it by deleting the horizontal line, moving the bottom text entry to the lower right at right text height. Then moving the top text entry to align centrally in the balloon & adjusting the text height. Any one been able to manage this.

Like some on here the company standards are different to everyone else. We're required to show a balloon with the item number (centred in balloon) & quantity (in smaller text) to the lower right. I've been using the leader method for some time now - can be a bit tedious as a work around.....especially when I think there is an easy fix as in a customized balloon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report