Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'associative' setting when placing views memory state

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Nik_Barbour
1278 Views, 6 Replies

'associative' setting when placing views memory state

Hi all, quick question for you...

What controls the default (or memorised) state for the 'associative' setting when placing views?

Reason for asking is, for approximately 3 days now, each time I close and restart Inventor 2014 Pro, it forgets that my preference when placing views on an idw, is to place them associative=ticked.

The memory function is OK whilst Inventor is running, but close Inventor and re-start always results in associative=unticked.

I've checked the options button on the open gui after selecting file, and it is set as it always has been (for 'design view rep' associative=ticked and the pulldown set to 'last active'. But it seems to ignore this and at first start up always has associative=unticked.

Roughly about the same time this started happening, I made a change to our 'Application options'. Strangely though - resurecting the old Application options seems to have fixed this amnesia on start up issue, but nowhere within the application options can I find anything related to 'associative=what' as default option.

Just wondered if anyone had encountered this, or knew what controls the memory state for this option, ie is it 'app options' 'the core inventor program' 'the individual model or assy file'.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SteveMDennis
in reply to: Nik_Barbour

I just checked the code and we do not save that setting anywhere. Because that dialog is not destroyed everytime you use it it remembers the last value until you quit Inventor.

If we had such an option it would be in the Drawings Tab of the App options.

If we add View Styles some day it would be in there I imagine.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
Nik_Barbour
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Thanks for the reply - now that we have restored a previous 'imported application options' its behaving as expected, and actually remembers the state on quit even after exit of Inventor.

Must have been a bad exported file - it was edited using an xml editor to remove username, so it could more easily be distributed amongst the engineering dept here, but this is something we have done many times previously.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 7
AndyWallace
in reply to: Nik_Barbour

Please uncheck as "solved". This issue came up in my drawing recently and it took me a while to solve it. There's also an Ideastation post on this. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/3994 Andy
Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
Message 5 of 7
SteveMDennis
in reply to: AndyWallace

I guess between reading the idea station post and this again I'm confused. What exactly is the problem? What exactly is your proposed solution?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7
AndyWallace
in reply to: SteveMDennis

John's post was in the Ideastation, not mine. However jtylerbc's post has this interesting note: "Over the last few releases we can check it and it sticks when we restart inventor until you run into a file that has it unchecked, then your new default is unchecked." I tried creating a new drawing and setting associativity and LODs up to replicate this but I couldn't make it happen for me. I think that's unexpected behavior. It would be good if Inventor had an application options, drawing preferences, setting for associative views default. Andy
Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
Message 7 of 7
SteveMDennis
in reply to: AndyWallace

Well the better fix for that is the introduction of a View Style that has all those settings. We have kicked that around before too. Thanks

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report