Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

associative geometry is not remaining linked on the part they are projected to.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
wlsapp
736 Views, 4 Replies

associative geometry is not remaining linked on the part they are projected to.

I am having a problem with associative geometry. When I edit a part that has simple holes in the edge that are projected onto another part, the associative geometry is not remaining linked on the part they are projected to. When I break the link and re-project the geometry, it comes into the sketch as fixed geometry.

I have gone as far as deleting all of the features in the part receiving the projected geometry and rebuilding the entire part from scratch, but I get the same results. Checking several post on the internet, it appears this is an issue going back a long way through many releases. The only way I have been able to fix the problem is to delete the part and replace it with a new part.

Since we use a specific numbering system for our parts, and two parts in the vault with the same name cannot exist, I have a problem. I am not able to overwrite the existing part with a new part, or I would do that.

I am currently on release 2013, and I do have the correct setting for the geometry to be linked enabled in the options menu.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bob_holland
in reply to: wlsapp

wlsapp,

Welcome to the Forums.

I am not sure that I am understanding the issue that you are having.

Can you post you files for me to take a look at.

From what is sounds like, you are expecting the parts to keeps their relationship even after the link is broken?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 3 of 5
wlsapp
in reply to: bob_holland

Basically I am changing parts that are in the vault, in which I do not want to change the part numbers to, because those need to remain the same. The particular part is very simple, which is a side panel to a bookcase with shelves that I am changing the spread of the boring on to accommodate the set-up process of a new machine that is tied to that spread.
When I change to boring spread on the shelf the spread on the panel did not change. The two bookcases the panels are part of use different length shelves which are two different parts, so the projected geometry came from one of those. I may have edited the bookcase with the shelf not projected from first, so that could be the start of why.
What puzzles me is that I don't care about that. In my opinion if I delete the hole feature all together, it should no longer be linked to any shelf, so I can then re-project the geometry and be re-linked at that point. Evidently it make no difference if I remove every feature including the initial sketch, and start from scratch, the projected geometry still comes in as fixed on those existing parts.
Message 4 of 5
bob_holland

Bill,

If you would like us to take a look at your files, we might be able to see what is going on.

If you would like us to look at your files, please pack and go them without your libraries.

Zip up your new pack and go folder and then post that here.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 5 of 5
jletcher

Personally I don't use associative geometry. There are many issues with it after they changed the way it worked and now has nothing but problems with keeping links.

I would suggest not to use it.

But to use adaptive to move the holes to the location.

In your part start a sketch put your hole centers in but do not dimension them the using hole tool put your holes in. Then right click on the hole feature make it adaptive. Go into your assembly make the part adaptive and use mate constraint center of hole using the axis to the shelve center hole axis. The hole will move do this to all your holes.

This is the best way to do it. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report