Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

*Pro
ampster
Message 11 of 15 (308 Views)

Re: Associate inventor to step files.

06-21-2011 06:17 AM in reply to: GustavStigsohn

GustavStigsohn wrote:

Why is it not good to use it as the default program?

reference what Dennis J. posted in this thread earlier.

It's not a good idea.

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 12 of 15 (306 Views)

06-21-2011 06:23 AM in reply to: GustavStigsohn

Mostly because it bypasses the point where you would select the "Options" button during an import.  This is a particular problem when importing assemblies, because it takes away your chance to set the save file path for the parts.  This causes them to dump into the root of your workspace, potentially making a mess if importing an assembly file with many parts.  There are other settings for special situations or problem files that you would miss the chance to use as well.

I had a computer at my previous job on which I had accidentally associated STEP files to Inventor (I used "Open With", and forgot to uncheck the "Always Use . . ." box.  If I knew I was opening a single part, it wasn't that big of a deal.  Since I transferred a lot of single parts from an old legacy system using STEP, I left the association in place.  I just had to remember to go through the File-Open-STEP procedure when I knew I was importing an assembly.

More than once I was importing what I thought was a single part, but turned out to be an assembly.  Or I would just simply forget.  The results were often messy, dumping (in some cases) several hundred part files into the root of a shared network file structure where our models were stored.

Depending on what you're doing, you might be able to get away with it.  In general, I would agree with the others that it's not a good practice.

John Tyler
Inventor 2015
Windows 7 64 Bit
Contributor
GustavStigsohn
Message 13 of 15 (303 Views)

06-21-2011 06:31 AM in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't had the problem you described when I used Inventor 2011. Anyways, I will try STPViewer, it will probably do.

Thanks!

Product Support
bob.holland
Message 14 of 15 (66 Views)

08-08-2014 12:57 PM in reply to: ozitag

Inventor is not designed to be able to double click on a file in windows and have Inventor start and load that file.
It does not know what project to associate it with.

Bob Holland

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 15 of 15 (60 Views)

08-08-2014 01:29 PM in reply to: bob.holland

Bob,

You are opening yourself up to critics - does it normally take Autodesk 3 yrs to respond to a customer?  :smileylol:

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.