Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly/Usermanuals,Spare partscatalog, what software do you use?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
828 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly/Usermanuals,Spare partscatalog, what software do you use?

I have tried Publisher for some time, I'm not very impressed at the moment.

So what i'm wondering what software do you use to make Assembly/User manuals, Spare parts catalog? do you use anything other than inventor?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

What do you want to do that Publisher won't do?  What version of the software have you been trying?

Message 3 of 7
Vlad.Makarov
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

What do you want to do that Publisher won't do?  What version of the software have you been trying?

I prefer to use software that isn't all smoke & mirrors. Marketing talks a good game & then every year I try it, it continues to be immature. It reminds me quality wise of early Inventor releases. Actually, that would be an insult to Inventor, because early Inventor was better quality wise. Unless a huge amount of resources gets dumped into it, I see it needing at least five years to bake.

mflayler2
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

I have had no problems with Publisher really, there are some things for it to work on but the 2012 release was a nice improvement.  This software does work for a lot of users, not all smoke and mirrors as Vlad would put it.  For the price of Publisher compared to 3Dvia or others it is quite powerful.

You can also get a training manual for it that might help you with some of the issues you may have had.

http://ascented.com/courseware-solutions/autodesk/courseware/autodesk-inventor/2012/Inventor-Publish...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 7
Vlad.Makarov
in reply to: mflayler2

@mflayler2 wrote:

I have had no problems with Publisher really, there are some things for it to work on but the 2012 release was a nice improvement.  This software does work for a lot of users, not all smoke and mirrors as Vlad would put it.  For the price of Publisher compared to 3Dvia or others it is quite powerful.

Inventor started in 1999. Publisher started in what? 2010?

It works but it's not even close to Inventor maturity wise.

Many simple features that exist in Inventor do not exist in Publisher.

How do I easily rotate a nut around a threaded shaft?

How do I create a fluid turntable animation?

There are loads of workarounds that need to be employed for simple things that are very easy to do in Inventor.

So why should I struggle with Publisher?

mflayler2
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

Those things are easier to do than you think, I have done both, without too much issue.

Why struggle with Publsher?  Well, the data connect to the Inventor model alone solves a ton of rework issues if you wanted to start documentation before production release of a model.  The re-use of meta data in the mobile app is more than handy to name a few reasons.  I would say that some people do not use it to full potential due to how their company marketing is run.

Recently, LEGO has had some really high interest in using Inventor Publisher for 3D instructions.  Regardless of maturity it does have a lot of benefits.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 7
Vlad.Makarov
in reply to: mflayler2

I not looking to show a simple rotation. If I have a 1/2-20 nut on a shaft, I'm looking to animate based on those 20 threads. Everytime I attempted a consistent turntable that would match what I do in Inventor, it would spin herky jerky. I have existing animations from Inventor that display a very fluid movement. I'm not going to show my customers animations that look like garbage. I have standards regarding my work & I have standards regarding the software I use.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report