Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Assembly Update Button Lit But Not Doing Anything

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
SteveFrey
3172 Views, 13 Replies

Assembly Update Button Lit But Not Doing Anything

What would cause my assembly update button to be visible but when I click it, nothing happens and it remains lit?  It's like something wants to update but can't.  See Screenshot.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: SteveFrey

Happens all the time for no good reason. When I see it I usually close and reopen the model. If its still there I'll do a rebuild all/save/close/reopen again. 99% of the time simply saving/closing/reopen/update takes care of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
SteveFrey
in reply to: mcgyvr

Unbelievable.  Thanks.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 4 of 14
SteveMDennis

Did any of the suggestions work for this dataset?  There are issues where some data can become constantly dirty (the lightning bolt is supposed to only be lit up when we believe something is dirty/out of date).

If you can reproduce this for a specific data set and/or a specific workflow please post the data/workflow and we can analyze what exactly is dirty.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 14
SteveFrey
in reply to: SteveMDennis

seems to be okay now.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 6 of 14
SteveMDennis

Steve,

If you see this again please get it submitted, either here or through product support. We are very interested in datasets/workflows that exhibit this "always dirty" behavior. It obviously has a tremendously negative effect on Vault users.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
IgorMir

Hi Steve,

Maybe it is different on IV2012 (I am with IV2010) but the Update icon stays ON when there are iParts present in the assembly. Not always but on occasion. I too have such an assembly which is always asks you to update. The same thing happens with the multiple drawing sheets. I have a few drawings (two pages only in each of them) where no matter what - the update icon stays on. The size of the files are pretty big for me to send it over to you, Steve. But if I run into the issue on a smaller data set - I will get back to you.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 8 of 14
SteveMDennis
in reply to: IgorMir

Let me be a bit clearer.

In an IDW the update button should be on whenever you highlight a view. It is a safety valve, update this view no matter what when  Itell you to.

It should only be on in an assembly when something in or under the assembly (subs or parts) are out of date. The easiest way to see this in action is to create an assembly of two parts, constraiin them togeterh. OPEN one of the parts in it's own window and change it (drill a hole, etc).

When you reactiveate the assembly the update button should be enabled. we knwo the part was changed.

If it is always on or on after you punch it (you can't get it to go off) that needs to be looked at.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14
IgorMir

Steve, I wish you understood - we are a little bit beyond the beginners level here...

@SteveMDennis wrote:

Let me be a bit clearer.

In an IDW the update button should be on whenever you highlight a view. It is a safety valve, update this view no matter what when  Itell you to.

Message 10 of 14
SteveMDennis

Igor,

I don't understand your post...  I'm simply trying to be as clear as I can for all who may be looking into this thread. I am very very familiar with how the update buttons works on all environments, I have been coding for it for almost 14 years now in Inventor.

If you run into a scenario you think doesn't work right please let me know.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 14
IgorMir

Steve, I appreciate you trying your best to resolve the issue but to tell us that the Update icon comes ON every time the drawing view is selected wasn't really helpful. Hence my reply to you. As I said previously - I will send you a copy of the assembly which exhibits the discussed sort of behavior. If you want to look at IV2010 files, that's it.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Message 12 of 14
sibarut

Hi, This "lightning bolt" stayed on after I converted my assembly into an iAssembly. I tried to update everything but still it didn't turned off? I think I didn't made any dirty action just right after I converted it? did I?

Though I'm not a pro still I tried to keep my work clean.

This situation occurs 7 out of 10.
Problems exist because there are solutions to find out.
Message 13 of 14
mayo26

Not sure if you guys found the solution, but I think I did. When I update my part and go to assembly I just moved one part that is constrain and it automatically updates the whole assembly. I guess it's that easy, also I'm using inventor 2013.

Message 14 of 14
samir.pathak1985
in reply to: mayo26

Guys I have found the solution. In the Assembly go to File>Save As>Pack and Go. Here the system will ask you that one of the file needs edit before pack and go. Click ok and it will show you the part file with the problem. Open that part file from folder and update>Save. Come to assembly and there you see the update symbol is gone. Bingo Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report