Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly to part file linked parameters.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
EVAPDRY
494 Views, 3 Replies

Assembly to part file linked parameters.

My goal is to open have people go into a central assembly file, type in their specific parameters and the various part files update within the assembly. I wish to do this without the need for an excel sheet, but when I try to link the parameters from the assembly file to the part files, it will not allow me to insert these parts. I get an error about an "assembly can not be placed into itself."

Iparts will not work as this has an infinite amount of sizes.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
stephengibson76
in reply to: EVAPDRY

create a dummy part with parameters, insert into your assembly, when you start a new part derive this dummy part into it and take the parameters you need, when you update the dummy part all the other parts will update...

do a search here for skeletal or master sketch modelling

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: stephengibson76

It is also possible to have the parameters in your assembly and then use an iLogic rule to push their values out to the part files.

Message 4 of 4
SeanFarr
in reply to: EVAPDRY

I think I was accomplished what you are trying to do. Not 100% sure,

I wanted to have a finished assembly file, that could altered by changing specifc parameters.

in my case, the 'skeleton' file dives the frame size. the sheet metal panels are a linked to the frame size, so if the frame size changes then the panels change accordingly.

See this link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/Form-want-to-change-parameters-of-skel...

I solved my own question, in the last post there is a link to a set of short videos, these were VERY helpful...

Let me know if it is what you were looking for.

Thanks

Sean Farr

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report